Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] E-80 MFD Time issues
05-10-18, 03:11 PM
RE: [CA] E-80 MFD Time issues
Charles,

Attached is diagram of the network. I was able to get to a scanner with a much better depiction of the way the system is configured. I apologize again for the bad attempt at information.

I have re-read your comments and now that I understand the equipment involved I think I get it. The overriding issue I believe now I understand...and that is the cable coming out of the new MFD Port 2 is very short and goes to a Tee or another connector box....and then a new backbone cable travels to the converter (white) connection.

If you would like to look at my scan, the solid lines are known connections. The dotted lines I am just assuming where they go, but the cable from the autopilot I assume is one of the ones that terminates at the three-way (D244) connector. Also, I assume that the other cable from this connector is where the MFD comm cable terminates.

So, If I understand your instructions, in order for the MFD to communicate with the SeaTalk 1 system the new communication link must (1) originate from the Seatalk 2 port, and the old cable removed, (2) an A06061 "pigtail" is installed which will terminate at a Tee or new connector which serves to link it to a backbone cable, And (3)Then a new backbone cable runs to the converter.

This makes sense. The confusion on my end was that after the original failure of the GPS antenna support guided me on the purchase of the antenna and a kit which contained the converter and one short cable that linked instruments and the GPS to the converter. I didn't get the whole picture and the issue was made a lot more difficult because our boat is 400 mi away and we can't exactly drive down to the marina and look.

If you could take a look at the diagram and see if I'm now on the right track I would be appreciative. I also have a few additional questions:

1. I will do the factory reset as you recommended, but was it required for the update to be effective? This could be the problem as well.

2. Would this issue also cause problems with speed, wind, current data as well? We have only used the boat a couple of times but suspect other inputs are affected.

3. I am still not sure where the original Seatalk one cable coming out of the MFD terminates, but it doesn't really matter because I can re-route the new cables anyway I can. Am I correct in assuming I only need the one converter shown? And, its not clear to me if one or both of the blue terminal caps stay in place...or just one???

I will call you in the morning and maybe we can discuss.

Thank you,

T sanchez
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA] E-80 MFD Time issues - Charles - 03-23-18, 12:40 AM
RE: [CA] E-80 MFD Time issues - Charles - 03-24-18, 11:57 AM
RE: [CA] E-80 MFD Time issues - Charles - 05-07-18, 09:04 AM
RE: [CA] E-80 MFD Time issues - Charles - 05-10-18 03:11 PM
RE: [CA] E-80 MFD Time issues - Charles - 07-05-19, 09:06 AM
RE: [CA] E-80 MFD Time issues - Charles - 07-16-19, 11:31 PM