Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum and Doppler Effect?
03-20-17, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 12:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Quantum and Doppler Effect?
Currently I have an old Raytheon RL70C 4kW Radome, and I just upgraded some Raymarine electronics on my boat and now I'm thinking about upgrading the radar, too.

Quantum has some tempting features. But some third party products have automatic target analyzing using the Doppler Effect (which means targets that have an incoming direction with a speed of more than 3kt are automatically identified and marked with another color).

I heard from various sources that Quantum has the hardware to do the same thing, so it seems to be a feature that could be delivered with a software update.

My question: Is Raymarine working on that feature?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-17, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-17 03:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Quantum and Doppler Effect?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JBuss,

Thanks for your interest in Quantum radomes and your feature request for automatic recognition / marking of moving radar targets.

Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions.
03-27-18, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 12:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I would also like to know about this. I believe the CEO was quoted in 2016 as stating that "there is nothing missing from the hardware [in Quantum I]" to allow for dopplar functionality.

It would be great to know that Raymarine is working on providing this feature as an update to existing Quantum owners. Chuck - are you able to comment on the possibility of a dopplar-enabling update for Quantum I?

Thanks!
-Scotty
03-27-18, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Scotty,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade a Quantum radome's circuitry/firmware to perform in the same manner as a Quantum 2 radome. Accordingly, those seeking the referenced Doppler collision avoidance technology would need to install a Quantom 2 radome and interface that radome to a compatible MFD running LightHouse 3 v3.4.x or later software. To learn more about the Quantum 2 radomes and their Doppler collision avoidance technology, click here.