Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] A97 to Axiom 9RV Upgrade and additional new electronics
03-24-18, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-18 03:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Brick [CA] A97 to Axiom 9RV Upgrade and additional new electronics
Hello!
First, thank you for the excellent advice on your forum. It has been very valuable to me.

I am planning to replace my A97 MFD with a new Axiom 9 RV, Part E70367-00-LNC. I’m also planning to add an Autopilot and Thermal Camera. I have attached a .pdf with the proposed schematic diagram, including both existing and proposed equipment.

Proposed equipment (not yet purchased) is shown with the Raymarine part number in bold. Other equipment is already installed. The P70R and EV-1 really are already installed even though the autopilot is not. The A97, to be retired, is not included on the schematic.

I would appreciate any overall advice or comments you might have when looking at the schematic. Nothing new is set in stone. In addition, I have a few questions to just make sure I’m on the right path:

1. My steering Cylinder is a SeaStar Model BA-125-7ATM, Part number HC5312. If I’ve done my research correctly, that’s 118 CC of volume. Could you let me know if I’ve chosen the autopilot parts (ACU-200 and Type I pump) wisely?

2. Could you please review my diagram and note the E66087 Airmar Sonar (already installed), and the A80488 Adaptor Cable (proposed) and advise if I’ve correctly selected the adaptor to allow me to connect to the new Axiom MFD?

3. I intend to put the new Axiom MFD where the A98 was. Have I selected the adaptor plate (E80526) wisely?

4. Can you confirm that the Legacy RMK9 keyboard will work with the new Axiom MFD?

5. The boat, unfortunately, has the house and port engine on the same battery bank. This can lead to a major voltage drop at the helm while starting the port engine. The MFD often resets during a start. Per one of you excellent FAQs, I am intending to install a Newmar Nav Pac (NP-12) 12 Volt DC UPS. By checking the specifications for each component, I have estimated the draw of all electronics on the schematic except the Fusion System and ACU-200 at about 11 amps (With 6 of that coming from the VHF transmitting at high power). The NP-12 is capable of handling 15 amps. I intend to connect all electronics via the NP-12, except the Fusion System and ACU-200, because the ACU-200’s maximum draw of 15 amps, in addition to other equipment, might blow the NP-12’s fuse.

a. Does my selection of the NP-12 seem like a good idea to you?

b. Is my estimate of 11 Amps reasonable?

c. Do you have any thoughts on my intention to exclude the ACU-200? Should I be considering an additional NP-12 just for the ACU-200?

d. Is there any way to power the “logic” of the ACU-200 from the NP-12, but use “raw” power to actually drive the hydraulic pump?

Again, thank you very much!
Kevin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-18, 03:44 PM
RE: [CA] A97 to Axiom 9RV Upgrade and additional new electronics
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum khm97

Q. I would appreciate any overall advice or comments you might have when looking at the schematic. Nothing new is set in stone.
A. The communications diagram does not presently include a power insertion spur for the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. It is considered to be best practice to power the backbone via a dedicated switched 12VDC power circuit rather than relying on an autopilot ACU or course computer to provide power.

Q1. My steering Cylinder is a SeaStar Model BA-125-7ATM, Part number HC5312. If I’ve done my research correctly, that’s 118 CC of volume. Could you let me know if I’ve chosen the autopilot parts (ACU-200 and Type I pump) wisely?
A1. Yes. The Evolution autopilot components which you have listed would be recommended for the specified hydraulic steering ram.

Q2. Could you please review my diagram and note the E66087 Airmar Sonar (already installed), and the A80488 Adaptor Cable (proposed) and advise if I’ve correctly selected the adaptor to allow me to connect to the new Axiom MFD?
A2. The selected adapter will support having the Axiom 9 RV MFD display 50kHz/200kHz conical sonar akin to that supported by the a97 MFD.

Q3. I intend to put the new Axiom MFD where the A98 was. Have I selected the adaptor plate (E80526) wisely?
A3. The adapter plate's correct part number is A80526.

Q4. Can you confirm that the Legacy RMK9 keyboard will work with the new Axiom MFD?
A4. Yes. The RMK-9 and RMK-10 are compatible with any model of Raymarine MFD which is running the latest available LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software.

Q5. The boat, unfortunately, has the house and port engine on the same battery bank. This can lead to a major voltage drop at the helm while starting the port engine. The MFD often resets during a start. Per one of you excellent FAQs, I am intending to install a Newmar Nav Pac (NP-12) 12 Volt DC UPS. By checking the specifications for each component, I have estimated the draw of all electronics on the schematic except the Fusion System and ACU-200 at about 11 amps (With 6 of that coming from the VHF transmitting at high power). The NP-12 is capable of handling 15 amps. I intend to connect all electronics via the NP-12, except the Fusion System and ACU-200, because the ACU-200’s maximum draw of 15 amps, in addition to other equipment, might blow the NP-12’s fuse.
A6. Your proposal seems reasonable, particularly since the autopilot would not typically be engaged unless both engines were operating.

Q6a. Does my selection of the NP-12 seem like a good idea to you?
A6a. Yes

Q6b. Is my estimate of 11 Amps reasonable?
A6b. How will the radome and thermal camera be powered?

Q6c. Do you have any thoughts on my intention to exclude the ACU-200? Should I be considering an additional NP-12 just for the ACU-200?
A6c. See my response to Q6. Should there be any other devices in the house which may cause brownouts, then a second NP-12 may be advisable.

Q6d. Is there any way to power the “logic” of the ACU-200 from the NP-12, but use “raw” power to actually drive the hydraulic pump?
A7d. Negative
03-28-18, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-18 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, Chuck, and thanks for your reply! My replies where appropriate begin with R.

Q. I would appreciate any overall advice or comments you might have when looking at the schematic. Nothing new is set in stone.
A. The communications diagram does not presently include a power insertion spur for the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. It is considered to be best practice to power the backbone via a dedicated switched 12VDC power circuit rather than relying on an autopilot ACU or course computer to provide power.
R. Thank you. My Diagram is a bit confusing. In the middle-left, there is a box with "+12 V Switched @ Helm". That connects to the SeaTalkng spur cable connection of the ITC5 to provide power to the SeaTalkng backbone.

R6b. I was intending to to power the Radome and Camera via the same NP-12. I am attaching my power budget spreadsheet. Values come from the web site or product documentation. The assumption when calculating Amps from Watts where needed is 12V are available. Any comments are, of course, appreciated.

Thank you!
03-28-18, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-18 11:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
R. Thank you. My Diagram is a bit confusing. In the middle-left, there is a box with "+12 V Switched @ Helm". That connects to the SeaTalkng spur cable connection of the ITC5 to provide power to the SeaTalkng backbone.
AR. Noted.

R6b. I was intending to to power the Radome and Camera via the same NP-12. I am attaching my power budget spreadsheet. Values come from the web site or product documentation. The assumption when calculating Amps from Watts where needed is 12V are available. Any comments are, of course, appreciated.
AR6b. The chart looks good. The power consumption posted for the Axiom 9 RV assumes that an RV transducer alone has been interfaced to the MFD. The power required to drive and process RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, and high CHIRP would likely be less than that required for a 600W 50kHz/200kHz transducer. As Raymarine has not specified a power consumption value for an Axiom 9 RV which has been interfaced to a 600W 50kHz/200kHz transducer, it is quite likely no more than that of the a97 MFD (15.1W). This would make the total current draw rise to 11.3A, which is 77.5 percent of the NP-12's rating. While 70% loading is typically the cutoff for circuit protection, you may want to consider checking with Newmar regarding whether the proposed loading is acceptable. The safe choice would be to install a pair of NP-12s.
06-10-18, 03:40 PM
First, thank you for the excellent advice, I've bought everything and installation is going very smoothly, everything is working well!

I'm up to the Autopilot. As it happens, installing the Hydraulic Pump near to the steering cylinder may well require removing an engine. However, the hydraulic lines run in an easy to access place nearer the helm.

The installation instructions say something to the effect of installing the pump "as near as possible" to the steering cylinder. On my 33' boat, am I going to get into trouble if I end up installing it nearer to the helm than to the rudders, or is this just a guideline?

Thank you, and please let me know if any additional information might help.

Kevin
06-11-18, 01:12 PM
Kevin,

Due to physical constraints, it is not uncommon to find an autopilot pump installed low within the helm of center console boat. The most important aspect to locating an autopilot pump is to ensure that the pump is located at a height within the boat which is lower than that of the helm pump.
06-15-18, 03:00 PM
Perfect, thank you very much, Chuck!
06-18-18, 12:32 PM
You're welcome.