Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] EV 150 Autopilot with AXIOM 9
03-28-18, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-18 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] EV 150 Autopilot with AXIOM 9
Im having a Axiom MFD and autopilot installed on my boat, should be done any day now. A couple of guys have told me about issues they have had with their auto pilots dropping out when trolling slow. Particularly when fighting headwinds or tides. You set your waypoint, set your throttle and then with wind or currents the boat slows and almost stops movement. Their units will drop out and they have to re-establish their waypoint and engage the auto pilot again. Does anyone have any insight they can share about this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-18, 09:18 AM
RE: [CA] EV 150 Autopilot with AXIOM 9
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hooksdj,

Please note that we have received no reports via this Forum and when queried, our support team had not recalled receiving any calls complaining of the hypothetical issue which you have raised. That said, please note that the Evolution autopilots are designed to support operation in speeds as low a 1.5 kts. Should the vessel's speed drop below this point, then performance may be adversely affected. Additionally, should the marine electronics system be commanded to a waypoint/cursor position or following a route, the autopilot be commanded into Track mode, the vessel's speed drop below the above listed minimum recommended operating speed, and leeway factors push the vessel well outside of the navigational corridor established around the course line when navigation was commanded, then the autopilot may detect an Off Course condition, causing the autopilot to drop from Track mode into Auto mode.
04-04-18, 12:15 PM
Thank you for the reply Chuck. One of the guys I spoke of is my father in law and I have been on the boat and witnessed when the auto pilot dropped out. We would have to reestablish the waypoint and it would eventually pick back up. Although his autopilot is a older version in reading your response I believe the problem arose from us falling below the 1.5 knot threshold. In our area, the Pacific North West, between the tide running and winds maintaining slower yet tolerable speeds can be difficult.

Cannot wait to get the boat on the water and try everything out.

As always, thank you for the insight.

Dean
04-04-18, 01:34 PM
You're welcome.