Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] No Navigation Data message
03-29-18, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-18 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] No Navigation Data message
I have a ACU400, EV1 and p70 Auto Pilot Control head on a Seatalkng network with a B&G MFD. The system was working fine last summer. This fall l I added a B&G radar and wifi to the network and now when I push the AUTO button on the p70 I get the message No Navigation Data on the screen and the wheel turns slowly in one direction. Any idea what's wrong? I've attached pictures of instruments and a drawing of network.
Thanks,
Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-18, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-18 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] No Navigation Data message
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Please note that Track mode may only be commanded after having satisfied the following conditions:
- the system has acquired a GPS position FIX
- the system's chartplotting device has been commanded to navigate to a waypoint/cursor position or to follow a route ... doing so would then trigger the system's chartplotting device to transmit the associated navigation data to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone permitting the autopilot to then be commanded into Track mode.

Failure to satisfy the above listed prerequisites will cause the autopilot's control head to report No Navigation Data.

Should the p70 Autopilot Autopilot Control Head's diagnostics (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM) list each of the system's Raymarine SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices, then the Raymarine system would be deemed to be operating properly. Attention should then be focussed on verifying the communications path between the third party chartplotting product and the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the above have been satisfied and should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted to temporarily interface a Raymarine MFD running LightHouse II software to the system, use your chartplotter configure the system to meet the conditions specified above, and then log the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications for approximately 5 minutes using the Raymarine MFD running LightHouse II software. The saved SeaTalkng log file may then be attached to this thread for further analysis.
04-17-18, 12:01 PM
Hi Chuck,
I followed your directions to list each of the systems Raymarine SeaTalk/NMEA 2000 devices on the p70, the results are shown below and on the attached document. I also ran similar instructions on my Zeus2 MFD to see what the MFD lists as devices on the network. I believe what it shows is the p70 sees all of the Ramarine devices but not the Zeus2 MFD while the Zeus2 MFD sees all devices on network. If my
observation is correct is there a command or method to have the p70 discover the other devices on network?

Below is the Device lists from the p70 and Zeus2

Device List from p70 Auto Pilot Control Head Serial #
• Raymarine p70 Auto Pilot Control Head 0951354
• Seatalk1 to SEATALKng converter 0571781
• EV-2 Course Computer 0730660
• ACU400 Actuator Unit 1030223
• ST70 Instrument 0390044

Device List from B&G Zeus2 MFD Serial #
• E22105 ST70 Instument[1] 0390044
• E22158 SEATALKng Converter [25] 0571781
• E22166 p70 Pilot Control Head [28] 0951354
• E70097 EV2 Course Computer [54] 0730660
• E70100 ACU400 Pilot Computer [57] 1030223
• W12 MFD ZEUS2-MFD This Device
• W12 Navigator This Device
• W12 Pilot Controller This Device
• W12 iGPS This Device
04-20-18, 09:49 AM
DO335,

The p70 Autopilot Autopilot Control Head's diagnostics may also be used to the determine the version of software which is presently installed within each of the Raymarine devices. It is quite possible that early Evolution autopilot component software may conflict with one of the recently added third party devices. It is recommended that the software version of each Raymarine component be noted an then checked against the latest available Raymarine product software updates. As your system doesn't feature a Raymarine MFD, it would be necessary to have the software within any components needing an update be performed by a Certified Raymarine Installer or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to receive the software update(s).

Should all Raymarine device have been updated with the latest software and should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that any new components be temporarily unplugged from the NMEA 2000 backbone and that the system then be tested again. Components may then be added one by on until the problem re-occurs. As indicated previously, it would then be recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted to temporarily interface a Raymarine MFD running LightHouse II software to the system, use your chartplotter configure the system to meet the conditions specified above, and then log the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications for approximately 5 minutes using the Raymarine MFD running LightHouse II software. The saved SeaTalkng log file may then be attached to this thread for further analysis.
05-08-18, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-18 01:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
I got back to my boat and changed the network so it is much simpler and only has Raymarine units attached, see diagram file attached. I have only the 3 ST70 instruments, the p70, the ACU400 and EV2 attached to the network now, no MFD, no third party units. All of the ST70 instruments (Speed, Depth, Wind) are operating correctly. Even with this set up when I push the auto button the rudder slowly turns to one side and I'm still seeing the "No Navigation Data message on the p70. These units all worked before and I haven't changed any software on any of them since they last worked correctly. Is it possible the p70 has failed or is it something else? Maybe a bad cable?
Thanks,
Steve
05-08-18, 01:25 PM
Steve,

Your diagram indicates three ST60 instruments (not ST70 Instruments) have been interfaced to the system via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. "No Navigation Data" is status which is returned by the EV-1 CCU to the p70 when the operator has commanded the autopilot into Track mode and the system has received no input from a GPS/chartplotting system concerning navigation to waypoint/cursor location. As the system is returning diagnostic data to the p70, the devices are communicating. What was not indicated within the diagnostic information supplied was the version numbers of the software which is installed within each device. As the system had been previously working, you may want to consider trying commanding a Pilot Factory Reset, followed by again executing the Dockside Wizard, and then taking the boat ride to permit it to determine the deviation sensed by the EV-1 CCU. At that point, you should be able to enter Auto (not Track) mode using the reduced system which you have listed if the versions of software within the Raymarine products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface are compatible.
05-08-18, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-18 03:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry for the mistake, yes they are ST60s.
I didn't realize I had put the auto pilot system in track mode, that's not what I intended so that's probably the problem. I just looked at the manual (p70 and p70R Installation and operation instructions 81355-2-EN.pdf) for operation of the p70 and I don't see how to get it out of track mode and into auto mode (where I push auto button and boat stays on the current course until I push standby). Can you give me some guidance on how?
Thanks, Steve
05-08-18, 03:24 PM
Steve,

Please review my initial response regarding the requirements to command the autopilot into Track mode. After commanding navigation via the interfaced GPS/chartplotter, the autopilot will first be commanded into Auto mode. The autopilot may then be commanded into Track mode if the autopilot is receiving navigational data from the GPS/chartplotter. Detailed instructions for commanding the Autopilot into Track mode may be found within Chapter 9.4 Track mode of the p70/p70R Pilot Controller Installation and Operation Instructions. As indicated within the prior response, should the autopilot not sense that it has received navigational data from the GPS/chartplotter, then it will report No Navigation Data. When interfacing the other components back into your system, it is recommended that you first begin with the GPS/chartplotter and then verify that you can command the autopilot into track mode after commanding navigation (Go To Waypoint/Cursor Position or Follow Route). After proving successful operation, new third party components may be added one by one to the system and the system should once again be tested to verify that the autopilot can enter Track mode.
07-05-18, 10:30 PM
Ok, now I think I understand my issue. The p70 should show three modes for auto pilot: Auto, Track and Wind, correct? If I'm correct, I'm only trying to have it steer in Auto mode. For some reason mine only shows choices for Track and Wind. I'm not trying to use Track or Wind, I just want the auto pilot to continue steering the direct I'm currently going when I push auto button. How do I have it change to Auto mode?
07-06-18, 10:45 AM
Steve,

Should the upper left hand corner of the autopilot control head specify Wind Vane, then you need only press the autopilot control head's Auto button to enter Auto mode.