Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[CA] Ev-150 install
04-03-18, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-18 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Ev-150 install
I picked up an ev150 autopilot and plan to install it in my 23 ft center console.I have read all the directions included and still have a few questions regaurding possible interference issues being that I don't have much room to work with or many options when it comes to mounting the system components.
Q1-How sensitive is the pump mounting location when it comes to mounting it near a vhf or trim tab pump? The location I would like to mount the pump puts it about a foot away from a trim tab pump and about 8 inches away from a vhf.
Q2- I would like to mount the ACU150 control unit directly behind where the p70r control will be flush mounted, therefore the ACU150 would be about 6inches or so from the back of the p70r. Is this acceptable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-18, 02:41 PM
RE: [CA] Ev-150 install
Makoman23,

Q1-How sensitive is the pump mounting location when it comes to mounting it near a vhf or trim tab pump? The location I would like to mount the pump puts it about a foot away from a trim tab pump and about 8 inches away from a vhf.
A2. Hydraulic pumps should be located in the stern of the vessel, as close as is permissible to the drive cylinder. As hydraulic pumps feature reversing DC electric motors, RF interference may be caused to the VHF radio if the pump is located within 3' of a VHF radio. As the EV-1 CCU is a device which is designed to sense the earth's magnetic field, it should not be installed within 3' of objects which are capable of producing magnetic fields.

Q2- I would like to mount the ACU150 control unit directly behind where the p70r control will be flush mounted, therefore the ACU150 would be about 6inches or so from the back of the p70r. Is this acceptable?
A2. Yes.
04-07-18, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the help chuck however i am still unsure of the best place to mount my pump. I understand that the pump should be mounted close to the steering ram but that's not possible on my boat. The only option i have is to mount the pump in the center console. The console is filled with electronics...2 vhfs, 2gps units, a sonar box, trim tab pump, 2 speakers and an amplifier. In order to mount the pump further away from these electronics I would have to place it near speakers. I could probably mount it about a foot away from the speakers or so. Would this be acceptable?
04-09-18, 09:53 AM
Makoman,

Q1. In order to mount the pump further away from these electronics I would have to place it near speakers. I could probably mount it about a foot away from the speakers or so. Would this be acceptable?
A1. There is absolutely not restriction with regards to separation distance when installing a hydraulic pump in the proximity speakers. As indicated within my initial response, the critical item to maintain separation from objects having magnetic fields is the autopilot's magnetic north seeking component (i.e. the EV-1 CCU).
04-12-18, 08:21 PM
Appreciate the help. I have one more question. None of the supplied spur cables are long enough to reach the ev1 sensor. The backbone cable(the blue cable) would be long enough to reach the ev1 sensor. Could i run the backbone out to the ev1 then use the t connector and a short spur cable near where the ev1 is ?
04-13-18, 08:56 AM
Makoman,

Q. None of the supplied spur cables are long enough to reach the ev1 sensor. The backbone cable(the blue cable) would be long enough to reach the ev1 sensor. Could i run the backbone out to the ev1 then use the t connector and a short spur cable near where the ev1 is ?
A. Yes.