Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] RD424HD "No Radar Source Found"
03-23-18, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-18 08:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] RD424HD "No Radar Source Found"
I'm getting an unexplainable "No Radar Source Found" message on my a98 (software v.19.03) when communicating to a RD424HD.

I've Googled-searched this issue and read that the problem is generally linked to a poor power/battery supply. I don't think this is the case here. I have 2 new 24-series Interstate marine batteries; a new electrical system with new fuse block and new bus bars. Dielectric grease at every connection. Heat shrink on every terminal. Batteries are continuously being fed by shore-power. I'm fairly certain that I'm not having a power supply issue here.

The RD424HD was previously connected to a E140w through an SR6 weather station and one of the 6 SeaTalk HS ports and worked fine in this setup. Of course, the power/communication radar cable has an RF45 connection on the data portion when connected to the E140w. Subsequently, to use this same cable on the a98 (which has no connection port for RF45) I purchased an A80247 adaptor (female RF45 to SeaTalk HS).

The SR6 is no longer in the setup. That unit was removed (and I'll be happy to give it to anyone who can fix my radar issue!!). There is no cross-over cable. Right now I have a really simple connection from the radome to the radar cable to the A80247 adaptor to the a98 display.

The power side has the red (positive) 12 gauge cable fed directly to a Blue Seas fuse distribution panel (15-amp fuse) and the black (negative) goes to the negative bus-bar. The drain wire is independently wired but goes to the same negative bus bar.

I'm at a loss of what to look at next. Your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-18, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-18 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] RD424HD "No Radar Source Found"
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum GoodChance,

The method which you employed to interface a RJ45 terminated Digital Radar Cable to a RayNet (Ethernet) socked is correct. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the problem not be resolved by cycling power (ON->OFF->ON) to the radome after the MFD has completed startup initialization. Should this and the other recommendations within the FAQ not identify a problem with power being supplied to radome end of the Digital Radar Cable or with the Ethernet communications leads of the Digital Radar Cable, then it would be recommended that the radome be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center.
03-30-18, 05:44 AM
I want to "close the loop" on this matter.

I purchased a new radome power cable. Radar now works perfectly. I assume that I had a short within the old cable. Or possibly one of the wires leading to the RF45 connector went bad. Either way, the radar now works!!
03-30-18, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-18 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
We're glad to learn of your success following installation of a new Digital Radar Cable.