Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Slave and master
12-18-17, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-17 02:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Slave and master
My system concist of a es78 and es75, x10 pilot, itc5 and a raystar 130 all connected to a backbone using spur lines, everything as been updated to the latest update. Both plotters can see each other but i cannnot set one as master and the othet one to slave also i cannot see my radar (rd418hd) wich is connected to the es78 from the es75. Any help would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-17, 02:13 PM
RE: [CA] Slave and master
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jepetof,

With respect to MFDs, Data Master / Slave relationship applies to MFDs which have been interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network. In such a network, all system resources and data (except for NTSC/PAL video) will be shared among the system's MFDs. In such a system, only the MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD will be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

As Raymarine's 6" & 7" MFD feature only one Ethernet communications interface and your system feature three devices having an Ethernet communications interface (2 x MFDs, HD radome) a HS5 RayNet Network Switch will need to be installed onboard. The Digital Radar Cable will be disconnected from the MFD and then connected to one of the HS5 RayNet Network Switch's Ethernet sockets. Finally, each MFD will then be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
12-18-17, 05:51 PM
Thanks for such a kwick answer. Will get this parts whenever i'll be in nassau.
12-19-17, 09:47 AM
You're welcome.
01-30-18, 05:29 PM
Similar question please;

I want to connect 2 x C90W mfds. One as master and other as slave. The master has a digital radar already connected.

Do I simply connect the two mfds with a Seatalk hs cable directly ? Or from the response on this thread, do I need to insert a network switch ?

If the C90w can only handle 1 network connection, why are there 2 hs sockets on each mfd unit ?

Thanks Jim
01-31-18, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-18 10:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

Q1. Do I simply connect the two mfds with a Seatalk hs cable directly ?
A1. The two C-Series Widescreen MFDs may be interfaced to one another via any of the following means:
- appropriate length of SeaTalkhs (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Cable
- a pair of SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) cables which have been joined with a SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler
- a pair of SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) cables which have been joined with a SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired) or SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather Receiver/Network Switch
- a pair of cable assemblies constructed RayNet(F) to RayNet (F) cable and a RayNet (M) Pins to SThs (M) Socket Adaptor Cable which have been joined with a HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

Q2. If the C90w can only handle 1 network connection, why are there 2 hs sockets on each mfd unit ?

A2. Each C-Series Widescreen MFD features two Ethernet network (SeaTalkhs) ports. Accordingly, within a system of two C-Series Widescreen MFDs, the MFDs may be interfaced to one another and to two additional compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface. Reasons why one would utilize a Network Switch would typically include one of the following:
- the MFDs do not have a sufficient number of Ethernet network (SeaTalkhs / RayNet) communications ports to support interfacing each of the system's compatible devices which feature an Ethernet communications interface
- the vessel operator may desire to operate one of the MFDs while the other MFD is switched OFF
- system redundancy
- cable routing constraints (ex. inability to chase a SeaTalkhs (M) plug through a binnacle tube, etc.)
01-31-18, 10:16 AM
thanks Chuck,

Greetings from Ireland.

I'll go with the easy option of, " appropriate length of SeaTalkhs (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Cable". I believe that is either Raymarine part number E55049 or A62245 (1.5 metre).

I have a full Raymarine system on my 36' sailing yacht and have found it to be very reliable and stable.

My system is C90W, VHF55E, AIS250, full Raymarine instrument set incl wind, depth and speed. I am upgrading with a second C90W mfd above deck.

That's great and thank you very much.

Jim
01-31-18, 10:24 AM
You're welcome.
04-12-18, 02:01 AM
Hello again Chuck,
Re your post #6 above, does your reply cover 2 x C90W plus a RMarine HD radar attached ? Do I not also need a RMarine Seatalk hs Network Switch (retired) because there are 3 items on the network ?
Jim
04-12-18, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-18 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jim,

Q1. Re your post #6 above, does your reply cover 2 x C90W plus a RMarine HD radar attached ? Do I not also need a RMarine Seatalk hs Network Switch (retired) because there are 3 items on the network ?
A1. Yes

Q2. Do I not also need a RMarine Seatalk hs Network Switch (retired) because there are 3 items on the network ?
A2. No. As the C-Series Widescreen MFDs each feature a pair of Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) communications interfaces, a network switch would only be required if
- the number of compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interfaces exceeded four; and/or
- it was desired operate one of the C-Series Widescreen MFDs while the other MFD was switched OFF. For example, if this were a sailboat having a cockpit MFD and a navigation station MFD, and the Digital Radar Cable had been interfaced to the cockpit MFD, then the cockpit MFD would need to be switched ON whenever desiring to use radar features at the navigation station.