Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] Realvision 3D sloping bottom problem
04-25-18, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-18 03:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Realvision 3D sloping bottom problem
I have an Axiom 12 pro RVX connected to RV-212S and RV-212P (12deg) plus some other Raymarine kit recently fitted to a Botnia Targa 31.

The problem I have is that the bottom on Realvison 3D is not displayed as an constant depth but rather as a slope even when I know it to be flat.

Other than that the Realvison 3D seems to be working ok.

Is there some adjustment I need to do?

See attached screenshots of examples of the problem.

http://forum.raymarine.com/attachment.php?aid=1814

http://forum.raymarine.com/attachment.php?aid=1815

Best regards

Steve
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-18, 04:25 AM
RE: [DG] Realvision 3D sloping bottom problem
Hi stevescottuk

Thankyou for your enquiry.

Check the two transducers for realvision are mounted at the same distance from the centreline and are mounted correctly flat onto the underside of the boat. check the cables to make sure the cables from each transducer are equal in length and not damaged or affected by any other device carrying high current or signalling frequencies.

Try the RESET SOUNDER option on the Sounder set up screen, this will restore the factory defaults.

Next check the settings for the AHRS in the sounder set up, turn the STABILIZATION OFF and check the SONAR picture again, if the picture improves with the AHRS turned OFF, then it is possible the stabilization Sensor in the Starboard RV transducer is damaged or failed. This can be checked by temporarily attaching a new Starboard transducer in hull and checking the Sonar picture, (the starboard side will be poor, but the port side should show a horizontal seabed). If this check cures the issue, the Starboard RV Tx will need to be replaced.

regards
05-20-18, 06:19 PM
Derek - I just installed an AXIOM 9RV, AXIOM 12 slave and a pair of RV212s. I have a similar problem with my port RV212 where my 3D rendering is sloping identical to what stevescottuk posted above. Both transducers are mounted equidistant from and close to the centerline in clean water. The cables are equal in length and not damaged and to not appear to be affected by any other device carrying high current or signalling frequencies. I'll try your suggestion and reset the sounder and see what happens next time I drop the boat in.

However, related to this problem, my water temp is showing 110F in 75F water. Is the temperature sensor located in the port or starboard transducer? Could a reset potentially cure that issue as well?

If the transducer is bad, does Raymarine have a program where they could send me a replacement transducer under warranty so I'm not stuck on the hill with a [censored] in my hull waiting for the mail? Thanks - Steve
05-21-18, 04:41 AM
Hi Steve,

This does sound similar to carry out the same process we suggested before,

Try the RESET SOUNDER option on the Sounder set up screen, this will restore the factory defaults.

Next check the settings for the AHRS in the sounder set up, turn the STABILIZATION OFF and check the SONAR picture again, if the picture improves with the AHRS turned OFF, then it is possible the stabilization Sensor in the Starboard RV transducer is damaged or failed. This can be checked by temporarily attaching a new Starboard transducer in hull and checking the Sonar picture, (the starboard side will be poor, but the port side should show a horizontal seabed). If this check cures the issue, the Starboard RV Tx will need to be replaced.

If the diagnosis is there is a faulty Tx in the pair, then contact the supplier or installer you used to arrange a replacement unit
Regards
05-21-18, 07:40 AM
Thanks Derek, I'll give it shot. Any comment on the temperature issue? Could that be related?
05-21-18, 09:18 AM
Hi Steve,

yes,it may well be, the Temp thermistor is in the Starboard Tx as well as the AHRS, so all points to this element being the problem.

Regards
Derek
05-21-18, 09:52 AM
Thank you for the quick response Derek, I'll keep you posted.
05-21-18, 11:29 AM
Thanks Steve

Your welcome
Derek
08-14-18, 09:31 PM
Derek - I returned the transducers and installed a new pair of RV212s. I still have the same identical problems I had with the original RV212s - sloping bottom on the port side and water temperature readings that vary between 125F and 135F. The system is as I described in my previous post and is not connected to my engine or any other non-Raymarine equipment except an older Airmar B60 transducer. The B60 is connected to the Axiom 9 with a Raymarine Y cable. I have moved the cables to different locations thinking perhaps I am having some electrical interference but it did not change the conditions I described.

Any ideas? I find it hard to believe that 2 separate pairs of RV212s would have identical issues. Is it possible that the Axiom 9 is defective? I am running the latest version v3.6 that was available in June 2018. Does Raymarine have a tech rep in North Florida that could take a look at this issue? Thanks - Steve
08-17-18, 09:19 AM
Hi Steve,

Yhat is really very unusual and it all points to the Txs, BUT having changed them and the problem presists, thenI too cannot believe that two sets have the same fault.

I have come across one other case where we changed the AXIOM as a final resort having exhausted every other avenue and although it makes no sense - it fixed the issue.

if you can check on the website at this link you can check which service dealer is best placed to assist you, since they can help swap the AXIOM and get to the bottom of your issue.

regards
Derek