Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues With e7D and RayRemote App
04-06-16, 12:59 PM
Issues With e7D and RayRemote App
Just got my e7D and learning how to use it. Not installed on the boat yet; unit on 12V power supply in my workshop.
Installed RayControl app on my tablet and it seems to be working fine. I can scroll, change displays, change scales, check GPS status etc.
RayControl is not an option for my phone, so I installed the closest in functionality (RayRemote). It is behaving very strangely. When I started the app, the mfd was displaying a chart and the phone connected and picked up on that just fine. I selected home and got there as expected. The fun started when I tried to get back to the chart. Without knowingly asking for things, settings and functions seemed to change without asking for them. For instance, touch lock got turned on, I got into a configuration mode I didn't want, other unwanted functions, all seemingly at random. Eventually I got a message saying that it couldn't stream anymore and it wouldn't reconnect. This has happened twice. The only way out I could find to get going again was to power down the mfd, disconnect 12V for a few seconds and then start up again.
phone: MPIE MP707 MTK6582 Quad Core, Android 4.0.3
For the moment I've uninstalled the RayRemote app. I might try RayView.
Anyone else had similar issues?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-16, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-16 03:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Issues With e7D and RayRemote App
Robert,

I just tried the RayRemote app using my Android smartphone. Unlike your experience, I was fully successful. If you have recently updated the MFD's software, it is recommended that you try to correct the problem by noting your MFD's configuration settings, backing up your waypoint, route, and track data, and then perform a Settings & Data Reset operation. After doing so, the waypoint, route, and track data may then be re-imported and the MFD's settings re-reconfigured. Should the problem persist, then please respond accordingly.
04-08-16, 09:04 AM
Chuck
I've resolved part of the issue (the seemingly random function select) and put this down to 'user error'. I can't explain the apparent refusal to stream. I've uninstalled RayRemote and installed RayView which seems to work fine except that it's view only and you can't change displays.
I would like to install RayControl. I've tried two cell phones now and neither of them show it available via the PlayStore, likely since RayMarine suggests you use it on tablets only because of the small screen size on a phone. I'm thinking you have to sideload it as described on C/NET. Is this the case?
04-08-16, 12:15 PM
Robert,

RayControl is neither designed for, nor supported for use on smartphones. The RayView and RayControl apps should be used with smartphones.
04-08-16, 12:38 PM
Thanks Chuck
In your first reply you said you installed RayControl in your smartphone. I assume that was a typo and you meant that you installed RayRemote. I didn't have great success with that one but RayView seems OK. Since I was only trying it as a backup for RayControl on my tablet, then RayView should do.
04-08-16, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-16 03:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for catching may error. I had meant to specify RayRemote rather than RayControl had been executed on my smartphone. As RayRemote is not designed to simultaneously display the MFD's screen image and controls on the smartphone, it is better suited to function as a handheld remote control while watching the screen of the MFD either directly or a repeated image of the MFD's screen being displayed on a TV.