Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] AIS 250 Install
05-06-18, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-18 08:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] AIS 250 Install
Good Evening,

I have aC120 Classic MFD installed on my boat with some newer devices networked to it. I have an EV-100 A/P and a Yamaha Gateway Command Link N2K interfaced to the C120. As it sits right now all electronics and devices work well. I just came across a Raymarine AIS 250 and I would like to add this to the menagerie. I have the Yamaha Gateway connected via a Raymarine A06045 Cable. Is it possible to jump in on this connection from the Gateway going to the network or is there a better method to make the connection to the MFD?

FROM THE AIS 250 Installation Guide:

Both 38.4 kbaud IN/OUT ports are connected to the single
NMEA 0183 port on either a C or E-series multifunctional display
with the connected NMEA port configured to 38400.

I believe the NMEA Port on my MFD is being occupied by the Yamaha Gateway, unfortunately I am a few days away from my boat and documentation to verify exactly how it is configured. I am just trying to get a head start on this before I install.

Thanks for any and all help
Regards
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-18, 09:58 AM
RE: [CA] AIS 250 Install
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Chris,

Q1. I have the Yamaha Gateway connected via a Raymarine A06045 Cable. Is it possible to jump in on this connection from the Gateway going to the network or is there a better method to make the connection to the MFD?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Per the referenced FAQ, the AIS receiver must be interfaced to the MFD NMEA 0183 port, not to the MFD's NMEA 2000 port. The MFD will ignore any NMEA 2000 PGNs containing AIS data. In contrast the MFD is designed to support processing of NMEA 2000 PGNs containing engine data and accordingly the MFD's NMEA 2000 communications interface will be interfaced to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the engine gateway has been interfaced.
05-09-18, 06:46 PM
Good Evening,
So like a dog with a chew toy I couldn't wait to get home and crawl around and make sure my drawing was correct... or at least the way it is set up. This set up works with only 1 error on start up pertaining to the engine, but we will save that for another time because it has no effect on how the system works or the engine data is displayed.

Attached is a drawing of how my system is configured. I will say I am very confused at this point. My MFD is a C120. Its not a widescreen. according to the link you provided it states

" As such, when interfacing an AIS receiver/transceiver to the A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs, the AIS receiver/transceiver MUST be interfaced to the MFD's 0183 port. "

In my drawing the D244 junction block connects to the NMEA 0183 port. If that is correct, then could I just place instead of the D244 a E25049( 5 port) Junction block to accept the feeds from the receiver? And if I can do that which cable would I use? I really don't want to have to purchase a bridging device to set this up.

Thank You for your time and patience
Chris

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-10-18, 08:26 AM
Chris,

The D244 cannot be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications port. The D244 is a SeaTalk networking component and would be used to connect the MFD's SeaTalk communications interface to other devices within the system having a SeaTalk communications interface. The D244 would be one of the SeaTalk networking components used in networking such devices to one another.

Unlike MFD designs which followed, the C-Series Classic MFDs did not feature support for SeaTalkng communications. Accordingly, while it is permissible to interface the engine system to the MFD via the MFD's NMEA 2000 communications interface, it would not be permissible to interface the Evolution autopilot to the MFD in the manner shown. In the case of this vessel, two powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. One backbone will include the Yamaha engine gateway and the C-Series Classic MFD as spurs. The second backbone will include the autopilot components and the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk bus (3-pin network) including the C-Series Classic MFD and GPS sensor will be interface to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk To SeaTalkng Converter. Finally, as the SeaTalk communications socket (3-pin) of the C-Series Classic is designed to supply power to a SeaTalk bus, the SeaTalk cable connecting it to the SeaTalk bus must be cut and then its yellow and shield leads spliced back together. The cable's red leads will not be spliced back together and will be insulated to prevent shorting.

I suggest that you examine your system's cabling again. In most systems have a C-Series Classic MFD and a DSC VHF radio, the MFD's NMEA 0183 cable will be interfaced to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 communication interface to supply it with GPS data and potentially support sending DSC position reports received by the VHF radio to the MFD to permit them to be plotted. Should the MFD's NMEA 0183 cable be interfaced to a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 listener and/or talker, then the leads of the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 listener and/or talker will instead be interfaced to the 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 output and input terminals respectively of the AIS250. The MFD NMEA 0183 Cable's leads will be interfaced to the 38400 BAUD color coded terminals of the AIS250.
05-14-18, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-18 09:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Good Morning Chuck,

I created a new drawing and the only difference between the old and the new I included the DSC/VHF Radio and associated connection. The radio was installed directly to the 3 pin seatalk port. The installer just spliced the two leads out from the radio to whatever cable that directly input to the 3 pin port on the C120.

I tried to understand you reply and I am having a hard time trying to figure out what you mean when you say " two powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbones. One backbone will include the Yamaha engine gateway and the C-Series Classic MFD as spurs. "

Would this mean that I use a 5 way connector as the backbone and one spur to the Yamaha Gateway and the other spur to the C120? Obviously if this is the case I will put terminators in the open blue ends and a black one in the remaining open one. Additionally if this is correct for this part of the install which port on the C120 would the spur cable input to? My attempt to draw out your recomendation is named "SeaTalk_" and my system drawing with the dsc/vhf update is named "SeaTalk"

I would like to correct the auto pilot per your instructions even though it has worked with no issues at the present set up. If it is prudent to move this thread to the autopilot section please do. I will then review what I have to do to connect the AIS250 to the new configuration.

Finally if my drawing named "SeaTalk_" is correct what would be the method of connecting the GPS and C120 together as you suggest?
" The SeaTalk bus (3-pin network) including the C-Series Classic MFD and GPS sensor will be interface to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk To SeaTalkng Converter. Finally, as the SeaTalk communications socket (3-pin) of the C-Series Classic is designed to supply power to a SeaTalk bus, the SeaTalk cable connecting it to the SeaTalk bus must be cut and then its yellow and shield leads spliced back together. The cable's red leads will not be spliced back together and will be insulated to prevent shorting. "

Thank You for your time and expertice.
Chris

05-15-18, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-18 09:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chris,

Per our conversation, the diagram shown below is very close to being correct with respect to how the autopilot and engine would be interfaced to a C-Series Classic MFD. The following changes should be made:
1) The "Battery" feed should be changed to specify switched 12VDC
2) The referenced to "ECM" should be changed to ACU100 (please verify ... if found to be a ACU200, then its SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 power switch should be moved to the OFF position)
3) Show the connections to the ACU and EV-1 as spurs to T-Pieces within the blue backbone
4) Show termination plug installed within the last T-Piece within the backbone cable
5) Show the D244 Junction Block
- Supplied SeaTalkng Converter to SeaTalk Cable connected to D244
- SeaTalk cable spliced to Raystar 125 GPS Sensor's (model assumed) cable and then plugged into D244
- SeaTalk Cable plugged into D244 and then into MFD's SeaTalk socket. This cable must be cut and then all leads except for its red lead spliced back together. Insulate the red leads to prevent shorting.
6) Add switched 12VDC to the 5-Way connector

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1858]

05-18-18, 07:31 AM
Thank You very Much
I made all the changes that we talked about with the final piece to be corrected today. That would be the power supply to the 5 way, The AIS is up and functioning as it should as well as the VHF/DSC complete with all pertinent data displayed.

I am very grateful for the time and patience you have afforded me considering that this is an old system and I did't spend a lot of money on new products. That last thing we discussed is on the way.

Thanks Again
Regards
Chris
05-18-18, 07:49 AM
You're welcome.