Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Updating NAV System
05-12-18, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-18 03:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Updating NAV System
Dear Folks,
I bought a boat, build and equipped in 2009, from a Russian fellow that is equipped with a E80 plotter, various instruments like LOG, Depth, WIND, Radar etc., with other words a everything that the sailer and navigators likes. All is connected with SEAtalk and also connected to an industrial PC with touch screen at the navigation table.
The PC used to work with Windows XP and spoke Russian language only. So for safety reasons we installed a new modern industry PC running on Windows 10.
Intrestingly I am getting the GPS and depth etc running on the RayTech 6.2 but I can't get the E80 connected. I can get no connection between the PC and the Plotter, I cannot read out the maps and display them on the PC although the plotter is switched on an displays everything correctly.

I cannot find the correct IP address for the PC to connect to the Plotter.
Who can help, please?
Are the instruments and the plotter also to be updated?
Any idea?

Many thanks for your assistance.
Kind regards,
Sail147
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-18, 04:02 PM
RE: [CA] Updating NAV System
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sail147,

Please note that the last Windows operating system with which RayTech RNS 6.1 (6.2 not recommended for use with E-Series Classic MFDs) was Windows 7. My advice would be to search out a used laptop or marine computer running the Windows 7 operating system. Should you examine the RayTech RNS software update web page, you will find a link to download the RayTech Network Configuration Tool. Using this tool, it is recommended that the IP address 10.0.0.7 be chosen. RayTech RNS 6.1 may also be downloaded from the RayTech RNS software update web page.
06-09-18, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-18 10:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
HI Chuck,
many thanks for your reply,
which in fact does just fits for the next short while and not for longer term as Windows 7 support will be terminated next year. And this was one of the reasons to invest into a new PC.
Is there an alternative Plotter that we could install where the software is not such a problem? But it shall work with the other Raymarine elements installed.
Is there may be a chance to talk to you in person on the phone?
Many thanks and best regards,
Stephan
06-11-18, 10:23 AM
Stephan,

Cessation of support for Windows 7 need not dictate the end of use for the PC. As has been recommended in the past, one should consider use of another PC, preferably a PC which has a current operating system, for all purposes other than running the RayTech software after Microsoft discontinues support for the Windows 7 operating system. The PC running would then be considered part of the closed system of marine electronics. Accordingly, it would not be recommended that the Window 7 PC running RayTech software access the Internet or networks other than the boat's SeaTalkhs (Ethernet) network after Microsoft has ended support for Windows 7.

Raymarine has not introduced a comparable PC based navigational software application for use with its products following the retirement of RayTech RNS 6.2. This niche has been filled in much part by Raymarine's RayContol mobile app which is compatible Raymarine's Wi-Fi equipped a-Series MFDs, c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, and Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs. The PC and mobile device based navigational / sailing application market is also filled with third party applications which are designed to support NMEA 2000 or NMEA 2000 communications with marine electronics systems as well as supporting waypoint/route transfer via GPX data files saved onto cards.