Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Updated Lighthouse to 3.4.66 - no longer able to view Navionics charts!
05-14-18, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-18 08:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Updated Lighthouse to 3.4.66 - no longer able to view Navionics charts!
I have an Axiom 12 purchased in Aug 2017. Worked fine, until I tried this weekend to upgrade the operating system to 3.4.66 (in order to get some new features). I downloaded the software from your web site, put it on an SD card as instructed, inserted into the machine and went through the update procedure. It appeared to go smoothly, and rebooted. The result is, now the machine cannot seem to access the Navionics charts that I put into the SD slot. All I see on the display is the low-res, blocky chart that is built-in. I am using the card that came with it (says on the label: MSD/NEB - 3/R2 US1BZ7ADWl1ISS). I also tried a couple other cards I purchased last month, for South America and Pacific Islands, which previously worked. I power down the machine each time before inserting the chart cards. I saw another thread here that suggested doing a factory reset, tried that but no difference. I also tried re-installing the update to no effect. For reference, the software version that is now on the machine is "AXIOM 12 RV (E70369 0470519) 3.4.66".

I'd be happy to go back to the original software, but I don't have it on any media.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-18, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-18 09:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Updated Lighthouse to 3.4.66 - no longer able to view Navionics charts!
The resolution of this is that the Navionics chart card somehow got damaged when I took it out or reinserted it, even though I was as careful as I could be with it. When I plugged it into my laptop, it could not be read. I could have sworn when I first had this problem I checked my other chart card for Mexico and found it to not work either, but I must have been mistaken, because it now works. So I obtained a replacement US chart from Raymarine and we are back to normal.

If I could extend my question a bit further now, I am concerned about backing up my chart data. I understand that the charts are keyed to the serial number of the card, so I can't really back up my charts to another card and use it. I did notice on my damaged card, I could in fact reformat it, and it appears to be perfectly functional now. If I had backed up the data on it to begin with, could I then restore it and have it work, or does the reformatting erase the serial number or whatever?
05-24-18, 09:30 AM
RE: [CA] Updated Lighthouse to 3.4.66 - no longer able to view Navionics charts!
jmckay123,

Q. If I had backed up the data on it to begin with, could I then restore it and have it work, or does the reformatting erase the serial number or whatever?
A. As the chart card is a Navionics product, rather than a Raymarine product, it is recommended that this question be addressed to the support team at Navionics (508-291-6000). Like the software within chartplotting products produced by other manufacturers, Raymarine products rely upon software libraries from Navionics to return cartography from the chart card to the chartplotting product's software. These Navionics software libraries are responsible to enforcing Navionics data encryption schemas.