Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] 1994 autohelm manuals for my scarab
05-16-18, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-18 01:44 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG] 1994 autohelm manuals for my scarab
My newly acquired 1994 Scarab 34 Super Sport came with a Raymarine autohelm and GPS antenna installed. Wires on the antenna are cut and no clue if the unit still works, or how to rewire/troubleshoot.

Called Raymarine and was told that it's obsolete hardware that they do not support.

I don't even know where to look for the model number, or whether there's any manuals out there I could use to troubleshoot my system.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-18, 01:58 AM
RE: [TG] 1994 autohelm manuals for my scarab
Hello Cocoloco,

GPS technology has moved on as much in the last 24 years as, for example, computers or phones, and I don't think it would be a good use of your leisure time to try to get this GPS up and running again (how many hours do you really want to wait for an unreliable, 50m GPS fix, when a new GPS receiver will typically give reliable <1m accuracy within a minute or two?), but if you really want to invest the time into what is the equivalent of a 386 PC running Windows 3.1, then if you can post a photo of the GPS or the model number, I will see what I can find for you. No promises that I'll be able to find anything useful though.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-17-18, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-18 09:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom,

I get it , but I had to ask. since the electronics are obsolete, how about the autopilot hydraulic steering interface? Are those old components interfaceable with the new electronics, or am I doing major surgery and starting over with everything?

By the way, everything that put a man on the moon (except the trajectory calculations) was done with a slide rule. And yes, I have one of those and know how to use it!

Thanks for the help,
05-17-18, 10:03 PM
In principle there's no problem retaining an old hydraulic pump in a new pilot installation, this is pretty common; I assume this is what you'd like to do. In order to give you a more specific answer I'd need to know exactly what hydraulic components you have that you'd like to retain, so I can recommend the right pilot parts. A photo would be good.

Generally speaking I try my best to help people keep whatever older components they want to and get them integrated into a new system, I just don't think that's worth doing with older GPS receivers in particular.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-19-18, 07:06 PM
(05-17-18 10:03 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  In principle there's no problem retaining an old hydraulic pump in a new pilot installation, this is pretty common; I assume this is what you'd like to do. In order to give you a more specific answer I'd need to know exactly what hydraulic components you have that you'd like to retain, so I can recommend the right pilot parts. A photo would be good.

Generally speaking I try my best to help people keep whatever older components they want to and get them integrated into a new system, I just don't think that's worth doing with older GPS receivers in particular.

Tom

Tom,

Boat's at the shop; I'll reconnect with you in a few weeks when I get it back and have a chance to explore what it is that I have.
05-20-18, 08:13 PM
Ok, I'll wait to hear from you.

Raymarine since 1999.