Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA11] Can Axiom use Pathfinder Smart Heading data
05-23-18, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-18 01:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Can Axiom use Pathfinder Smart Heading data
I am replacing my old Pathfinder RLC/open array system with a Axiom Pro12S and Quantum2 Q24D. In order to fully use the Q24D functions (color marpa, overlay, etc.). I need a heading sensor. The recommendation is 10Hz or greater heading updates. My currently installed Pathfinder Smart Heading Sytem (with fluxgate, about 10 yeats old, fully functional) delivers 10 Hz over NMEA 0183, I believe maybe slower over NMEA 2000. It seems this should be adequate, if not optimal. I will never have an autopilot on this boat, so the EV1 seems like an unnecessary expense; the pitch, yaw etc. sensors don’t seem applicable to my need for heading data for the Doppler radar unit. The Axiom accepts NMEA 0183 data. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-18, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-18 01:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Can Axiom use Pathfinder Smart Heading data
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Formulerie,

It is certainly possible to interface the NMEA 0183 output of the SHS to the NMEA 0183 input Port 1 or Port 2 leads to support having the MFD receive 10Hz heading data from the SHS. However, the software of MFDs running LightHouse II software and MFDs running LightHouse 3 software does not support linearization or alignment of the SHS. Accordingly, should the SHS fall out of alignment or its fluxgate replaced (requiring that linearization and/or alignment be performed), then the MFD would be unable to support these actions.

Additionally, the heading performance of the EV-1 CCU is vastly superior to that of the SHS. On my own boat, not subject to current on the body of water where it is operated), the COG and Heading vector almost always overlay one another. The performance of the MARPA is only as good as is the heading data which is supplied to the system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply