Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA11] AIS700: Read NMEA data on Computer
05-28-18, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-18 10:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS700: Read NMEA data on Computer
Hi All

I tried to connect the NMEA HI OUT of my AIS700 to my computer using a RS232 to USB converter. It works so far that I do get some characters on my PC (I'm using Linux), but unfortunately it's all garbled, mostly unprintable characters (see attatchment). I tried changing the baud rate and any other option, but the text remains garbled. The only difference I get is faster garbled text with higher baud rates :( I even tried another RS323 to USB adapter, no luck.

Unfortunately I don't have any other device with an NMEA-out to try, I only have a USB-GPS-dongle (which works fine).

Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Thanks
Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-18, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 09:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] AIS700: Read NMEA data on Computer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

The most common cause for the reported issue is a failure to properly configure the computer's COM port setting to match that of the transmitting NMEA 0183 device. In the case of AIS receivers/transceivers, AIS data is transmitted via the device's 38400 BAUD leads / terminals. The computer's COM port BAUD rate setting must accordingly be set to 38400 BAUD (contact the developer of your navigational software application or the serial to USB adapter manufacturer for details about how to configure this setting). That said, one would not typically connect a PC to the AIS700 in the manner which you are attempting. The AIS700 features a USB socket. The USB driver for the AIS700 is installed when the ProAIS2 software (CD packaged with the AIS700) is installed on the computer. Following installation of the ProAIS2 software the PC may be interfaced to the AIS700 via USB to support supplying AIS data to the PC via a virtual COM port.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply