Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum 2 to Axiom
05-31-18, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-18 12:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Quantum 2 to Axiom
I currently have a Raymarine digital radar networked to an Axiom 9 and 7 via an HS5 network switch. If I replace the digital unit with a quantum 2 will the current power and data cable work or do I need to run a new one?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-18, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-18 12:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Quantum 2 to Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Greg,

Replacing a Digital radome which had been interfaced to a Network Switch or Axiom/Axiom Pro MFD with a Quantum or Quantum 2 radome would simply require connecting an A80308 Quantum Adapter Cable to the radome end of the currently installed Digital Radar Cable.
06-05-18, 08:05 AM
After replacing the digital radome with the Quantum 2 on Sunday the new radome won't "power on". The radar is attached via an A80308 cable through an HS5 switch to an Axiom 9RV and Axiom 7. Neither Axiom can "find" the radome. The lights on the HS5 flash for the 2 Axioms but not for the connector where the radar is attached. I tried interfacing via the network and disconnecting the network cable and trying via WIFI. The radar just appears to not power on. BTW I did check and I have voltage at the end of the original cable but I did not check to make sure the A80308 had continuity. Also the digital I removed was working fine.

Anything else I should check before I contact service?

Thanks!
06-05-18, 12:37 PM
Gregg,

Please verify that the Axiom MFDs have been updated with LightHouse 3 v3.4.66 or later software, as this LightHouse 3 software is required when interfacing with a Quantum 2 radome. If not, the software within the Axiom MFDs should be updated accordingly. Should the problem persist after having updated the MFD's software, then it is recommended that the power circuit supplying the radome be switched OFF and then ON again to wake up the radome. If interfaced via Ethernet (ex. Digital Radar Cable, Quantum Data Cable), the MFD will be unable to communicate via Wi-Fi with a Quantum or Quantum 2 radome. Should the MFD be unable to establish communications with the radome within 10 minutes of having cycled power to the radome, then it would be recommended that the power circuit supplying the radome be switched OFF and ON again to wake up the radome once again. Should the problem persist, then it is recommended that power be checked at the A80308 Quantum Adapter Cable. If power is verified at the Quantum 2 radome, then any user data (waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.) be backed up and configuration settings noted. After doing so, then it would be recommended that a Factory Reset (MOME->SETTINGS->THIS DISPLAY->FACTORY RESET) be commanded to each Axiom MFD and that the system then be tested after the power circuit supplying the radome be switched OFF and ON again.
06-05-18, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 07:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Axioms are at 3.4.102. All instructions followed with the same result including the HS5 not recognizing the radar connection.
Thanks for your help.
06-06-18, 07:42 AM
Gregg,

I have only one other suggestion to offer before contacting service and that is to try connecting the Digital Radar Cable to a different port of the HS5 RayNet Network Switch to determine whether there may be an issue with the HS5 RayNet Network Switch's Ethernet socket that the Digital Radar Cable is presently interfaced to.
06-06-18, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 09:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck! That was actually one of the first things I tried. I switched all 3 inputs to different ports and the 2 Axioms reconnected in their new ports and the radar still wouldn't attach, even in a known good port that an Axiom had been connected to minutes before.

The replacement unit is going to come with a power cable. I plan to eliminate the Digital data cable and just use the power cable and WIFI. I will do a factory reset first.

Thanks again for your help!
06-07-18, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-18 02:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Axioms are at 3.4.102. All instructions followed with the same result including the HS5 not recognizing the radar connection.
Thanks for your help.
06-07-18, 02:09 PM
GreggCT,

If the radome was installed by a Raymarine Certified Installer, then I would recommend that the installed be contacted visit the vessel again to address the problem. If not, then I would recommend bringing the radome to your Raymarine dealer to be tested with an Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD running v3.4.101 software and if found to not be operational, that it be replaced by your dealer.
06-12-18, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-18 03:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
After trying all suggestions, including a new Quantum 2 assuming the original was faulty, I ordered a power cable from Raymarine rather than using the A80308 I had been trying to use. I'll try the power cable and WiFi. Defender Industries has offered to help me get the units connected if I bring them in so we'll see how that goes.