Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] RS130 losing fix
05-31-18, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-18 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] RS130 losing fix
In February of this year I replaced my RL80C and L760 with eS127 and eS97 MFDs. At the same time I replaced my radome with E92143 24" HD Dome. My old system had a 1 year old RS130 GPS so I chose to keep and use it.

About 7 weeks ago I started getting GPS Lost Fix errors. I found that switching the eS127 (Data Master) to use its internal GPS is a workaround for the lost fix problem.

The RS130 is located on top of my radar arch and about 8 feet from my two VHF fixed antennas. The RS130 works fine and the barograph shows good signal strength until I key a VHF radio, at which time the RS130 will lose fix. Also when my hand held VHF is keyed, on low power if it is 5 feet or less from the RS130 it also loses fix.

The status LED atop the RS130 will be short flashing green until the VHF is keyed. It will then go to short flashing orange for about 4 to 5 seconds, at the same time the satellite signal will go to near zero. If the VHF key is held longer than 5 seconds the status LED will return to green and the signal strength will return to about 50% of normal. Again the problem goes away when the key is released.

I have checked everything I know to check and suspect the RS130 is to fault.

Do you think the problem is in the RS130?

I purchased the RS130 1/30/17 1 year and 4 months ago. Can it be repaired?

I have attached a drawing of my system just in case you suspect there is something else wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Shay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-18, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-18 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] RS130 losing fix
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Shay,

No files were attached to your thread.

Raystar 130 GPS Sensor failures are quite rare. Please verify that the MFD's Data Sources feature has been configured to select the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor as the system's GPS data source. Close proximity of a VHF antenna to the GPS sensor may account for such problems. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Please respond with the distance between the VHF antenna and the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor.

Additionally, VHF radios draw a significant amount of power when transmitting. The symptoms described may be indicative batteries which are in need of maintenance, are weak, and/or are undercharged or may be indicative a problem with how the electronics power circuits have been installed. It is considered to be a best practice that VHF radios and AIS transceivers be installed on a dedicated circuit. Should the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor be installed as specified within the referenced FAQ and powered as specified above, then it is recommended that the power and ground connections from the equipment though distribution panel, to the batteries be inspected to ensure that all connections are free of corrosion, have clean contacts, and the connections are tight. If so, then the vessel be connected to shore power, its batteries be permitted to reach full charge, and that while still connected to shore power that the system be tested again. If the problem cannot be duplicated under the above listed conditions then it would be recommended that the batteries be load tested and replaced if necessary. If the problem can be duplicated under the above listed conditions then it would be recommended that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-04-18, 12:02 PM
I have verified several times that the RS130 is the data source while I am having the Lost Fix problem. I have switched back and forth between the internal GPS of the eS127 and the RS130. Each time I try to use the RS130 I have a problem.

My RS130 is powered by a circuit breaker that powers the Course Computer and other Seatalk circuits. My VHF are on a circuit breaker by their self. I have measured the supply voltage to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter and see almost no drop in voltage while transmiting. I most recently Duplicated the problem while in my slip with battery at float charge.

The fact that I have the problem while using the hand held VHF radio should eliminate the VHF radios causing a voltage drop to the RS130.

My fixed VHF radio antennas are 8 and 10 feet from the RS130. Either radio will cause the lost fix. My hand held VHF will cause the lost fix from a distance of 8’ on high power (6 watts) and 5’ on low (1 Watt) power.

These are the same antennas and radios that have worked with the RS130 without any problem for the last 14 months.

What is the Warranty period of the RS130?

Thank You for you help

Shay
06-04-18, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 12:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Shay,

Thanks for the additional supporting information. Based upon this additional information and past functionality, it is recommended that the Raystar 130 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Within the note accompanying the GPS sensor, be certain to specify which VHF channel transmission cause the GPS to loose FIX. I would also recommend enclosing a copy of this Forum thread along with the note.