Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Explain any benefit of having gps data for Evolution autopilot
06-03-18, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-18 02:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Explain any benefit of having gps data for Evolution autopilot
Hi,

We have just installed a Evolution autopilot with p70s and ACU-200, ev-1 core, type 1 mechanical linear drive and rudder reference transducer. All working well.

We are thinking of getting a new system pack to add wind, STW, and depth to the Seatalkng network. I understand the autopilot can make use of the wind and STW data. This seems straight forward to do.

I am also wondering about whether to provide gps data to the network/autopilot. We don’t have an MFD or anything like that.

What is not clear is if there is any benefit to the autopilot if it has gps data? I can’t find anything specific in the manual (may have missed it).

Can anyone explain if there is a benefit and what it is?

One specific question is whether the autopilot can be set to follow a gps heading rather than the magnetic heading provided by the ev-1.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-18, 02:22 PM
RE: [CA11] Explain any benefit of having gps data for Evolution autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum benzy,

Evolution autopilots are very much dependent upon speed data (Speed Through Water (STW), Speed Over Ground (SOG), or Cruise Speed) to maximize performance. Maximum performance will be achieved when accurate STW data is supplied to the autopilot to assist in compensating for current and wind leeway affects. Should accurate STW not be available or should the STW sensor suffer a failure, then SOG is the next best choice in supplying speed data to the system. As SOG is supplied by a GPS sensing device (ex. GPS sensor, MFD / chartplotter with internal GPS receiver, etc.) would typically be installed to support supplying the autopilot with SOG. In the absence of STW or SOG, the operator may enter an estimated Cruise Speed value to be used by the autopilot.

Recreational marine autopilots are designed to steer to heading (generally a magnetic heading), not to COG. GPS data in conjunction with chartplotting marine electronics and the navigational data they transmit are used be autopilots when operating in Track mode (i.e. going to a waypoint/cursor position or following a route).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply