Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Electronics Upgrade
06-05-18, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-18 10:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Electronics Upgrade
Having recently purchased a Princess 266 with 2 x 4.3 V6 inboards I am looking to upgrade the equipment currently fitted:

2kw Raydome
Raymarine C70 chartplotter
Raymarine Raychart 435
Raymarine ST60 + Depth (not working, transducer appears to be at fault)
Autohelm Speed log

Boat will be used mainly for inshore & inland cruising, what would be a good start point??

I was looking initially to replace both depth & speed logs with an i70s coupled with either the triducer or individual transducers for depth / temp & speed (which would be best?)

The existing plotters I thought could be replaced with a single unit from the Axiom series. If I go down this route is there a thru hull transducer that will work with this unit and talk to the i70s as well.

Thanks in advance for any help guidance on this one.

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-18, 12:52 PM
RE: [CA11] Electronics Upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Matt,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. My initial thought is that the currently installed transducers (assumed to be operational) may be interfaced to an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter which will be part of the backbone to which the i70S MFIDs and Axiom MFD will be interfaced. Are you seeking to have the MFD support bottom imaging or simply interested in having the MFD and instruments display the depth numerically?
06-12-18, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-18 04:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the add to the forum and the response.

The existing depth transducer (Airmar P319) appears to be at fault so will need replacing. The speed log transducer give an intermittent reading and as its around 20 years old would ideally replace this too.

I was not looking for a down vision but a chirp transducer that will work with Axiom.

I assume the current raydome is not compatible with the Axiom range so guess I would need to upgrade to the HD or Quantum series if I want this capability?

Regards

Matt

(I'll check out the link you included in your post)
06-13-18, 08:35 AM
Matt,

Q1. The existing depth transducer (Airmar P319) appears to be at fault so will need replacing. The speed log transducer give an intermittent reading and as its around 20 years old would ideally replace this too.

Q2. I was not looking for a down vision but a chirp transducer that will work with Axiom.

A1 & A2. Should an Axiom DV MFD be installed, then you may want to consider replacing the currently installed instrument depth transducer with a CPT-S Transducer. Doing so would then not only supply the system with depth data, but would also support the Fishfinder application's Sonar (high CHIRP conical) channel to provide plot of the bottom as well as the organics suspended within. A replacement instrument speed/temp transducer may then be interfaced to an iTC-5 to provide Speed (through water) and water temperature data to the i70S and to the Axiom DV MFD.

Q3. I assume the current raydome is not compatible with the Axiom range so guess I would need to upgrade to the HD or Quantum series if I want this capability?
A3. Per the previously referenced FAQ radomes and open array pedestals which were designed for use with C-Series Classic MFDs are not compatible Axiom MFDs. Axiom MFDs must be interfaced to a Quantum/Quantum 2/Digital/HD Digital Radome, HD/SuperHD Open Array Radar Scanner, or Magnum Open Array Radar Scanner when seeking to use the MFD's Radar features.
06-15-18, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-18 09:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for all the advice, really useful.

Would you consider a separate speed transducer necessary in place of using GPS for speed over ground instead.

If opting for the above and relying on Axiom GPS, does the 9" / 12" come with a GPS antenna? If not which extra parts will I need to order.

Regards

Matt
06-18-18, 12:40 PM
Matt,

Q1. Would you consider a separate speed transducer necessary in place of using GPS for speed over ground instead.
A1. I don't believe that a speed through water sensor would be applicable to this installation. Speed though water has value in the following craft:
- systems feature an autopilot which is designed to use speed through water data to optimize the autopilot's performance in handling leeway forces
- systems feature an autopilot which operate at trolling speeds
- sailing vessels seeking true wind data

Q2. If opting for the above and relying on Axiom GPS, does the 9" / 12" come with a GPS antenna? If not which extra parts will I need to order.
A2. Axiom MFDs feature an internal GPS receiver utilizing an GPS antenna which is also internal to the MFD's housing. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when an external GPS sensor may be required. In such cases, a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor would be recommended.