Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom w/airmar dst800
06-18-18, 09:17 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom w/airmar dst800
Dave,

Q1. I’m seeing in my research that calibration may not be possible via the i40?
A1. Correct.

A2. So the dst 800 would remain connected directly to the backbone as a spur, and the i40 would plug into the backbone via the yellow terminal on the adapter kit... meaning I would also need to buy an additional blue backbone cable to add that special converter block to my system ... all correct?
A2. See the response to Q1. While it is certainly possible to add an i40 Bidata to the system to monitor data, it will not be able to calibrate or configure alarms associated with depth, speed, or temperature via the i40 Bidata.

Q3. If I go the i70 route, it just plugs directly into the backbone as a spur, as does the dst800?
A3. Correct.

Q4. The system is properly terminated, and if I understand correctly, the backbone is powered from my evoluction AP control unit (ACU-200).
A4. While the ACU-200 can provide power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 which is limited to the autopilot components, it is considered a best installation practice to instead power the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone from a switched 12VDC power circuit connected to the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable which in turn is connected to one of the backbone's spur sockets.

Q5. Just to understand the dst 800 a little better.... what does “smart sensor” really mean?
Q5. Prior to the introduction of 'smart transducers", all instrument transducer were designed to output an analog signal which in turn would be processed and calibrated by an instrument display. The instrument display would then transmit data to other equipment via NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, or a proprietary communications protocol. Smart sensors are designed with internal microprocessors and transmit calibrated NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183 data. Such calibration may be performed via an instrument which has been specifically designed to perform such calibrations for a specific make/model of transducer. In the case of some third party products, such calibration may be performed via a computer application provided by the manufacturer of the NMEA 2000 sensor.

Q6. The marketing from Airmar describes: “Depth, speed, and temperature signals are
processed inside the sensor and can be displayed on any radar, chart plotter, or
device that accepts NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000® data.” If the data is translated into a NMEA protocol within the instrument and attached as a spur to the backbone, why is the axiom unable to see those inputs?
A6. Again, the MFD will be able to repeat whatever value data is supplied to the MFD. However, should the instrument require to have an offset (ex. keel offset, waterline offset, require calibration, or should it be desired to configure an alarm associated with the instrument data, then please note that the MFD's software will not support doing so.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Axiom w/airmar dst800 - DaveE - 06-07-18, 09:38 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom w/airmar dst800 - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 06-18-18 09:17 AM