Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9 - Depth Solution
06-11-18, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-18 02:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 9 - Depth Solution
I bought the Axiom 9 with the Realvision Transducer (RV-100), in the description it stated the max depth for CHIRP is 900', but when I installed and tested offshore the max depth is 300' for all the different applications (3D, SV, DV, CHIRP), most of the times I fish for marlin and I'm wandering:

1.- Is there any software configuration or hardware upgrade in order to get the 900' depth?

2.- I know the Axiom has two transducer connections, could I get a CP370 with an airmar P58 transducer (800 dllrs solution) and get readings up to 1000' or Do I need to get CP470 with TM258 transducer (2,000 dllrs solution) to get the readings?

3.- If I install two transducers, the RV-100 and the P58 with CP370 do I lose the CHIRP technology up to the RV-100 readings? Could I swap the transducers with the Axiom software depending the fishing I'm performing?

4.- What's the recommended and if possible cheapest solution to get readings up to 900'+?

Thank you very much!
EM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-18, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-18 01:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 - Depth Solution
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum EM,

While it is certainly possible to add the appropriate Y-Cable and a compatible 6000W 50kHz/200kHz to achieve the end which you are seeking, it should not be necessary if reporting that you are unable maintain bottom when operating in depths up 900' when operating at trolling speeds or while drifting. The high CHIRP Sonar supported the a RealVision Transducer in conjunction with an Axiom RV or Axiom Pro RVX MFD should indeed support operation in depths up to 900. That said, we have recently had one other similar report the CHIRP Sonar channel supported by the RV circuitry within the MFD loosing bottom at approximately 300'. Strong thermoclines such as are commonly found along portions of the US West Coast may reduce the maximum operational depth of the CHIRP Sonar channel by hundreds of feet. The problem may be resulting from an issue with the installation or potentially with the Raymarine product. To fault isolate the problem, we ask that you:
- verify that the transducer are free of marine growth
- verify that the problem can be reproduced when a "quiet ship" operating environment has been established onboard to ensure that other equipment is not producing electrical and other interference which may be adversely affecting the Sonar channel's performance. Take the vessel out to water which is approx. 600', then create the "quiet ship" operating environment onboard and test the performance of the sonar in acquiring bottom while drifting in waters of this approximate depth. When operating in waters featuring strong thermoclines and seeking to sound in depths greater than 600', a higher power sounder/transducer may be recommended.

Should no smoking guns be identified within the above listed items, then perform the Sounder Reset (MENU->SETTINGS->SOUNDER->RESET SOUNDER) from within the Fishfinder app. Should the Sonar Reset not address the problem, then perform a Factory Reset (HOME->SETTINGS->THIS DISPLAY->FACTORY RESET).

Please respond with your results.
06-14-18, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-18 04:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you very much for the reply Chuck, I'll make the test next time I go off shore and send the results, just to be clear and to avoid any user problem, the reading option I should using to get to the 900' is CHIRP, not 3D, SV or DV, but CHIRP / GPS option should be ok right?

Regards
06-14-18, 04:09 PM
EM,

The option which you should be choosing from the Fishfinder menu is titled "SONAR". This is the option which will cause the RealVision transducer's high CHIRP conical sonar to be activated and viewed within the Fishfinder application page/pane.
08-06-18, 03:34 PM
Hello, I already made the test and it doesn't achieve the desired depth, after 330 ft the MFD loses bottom in every function, next you will find the test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7CvZnqx1e0

As you can see the depth in the zone is about 500 ft, at the beginning of the video I was at trolling speed, afterwards I turned the engine off to avoid any mix sounds problem, with both scenarios it never got the bottom,

Please let me know if it has any software solution or if I have to buy any additional hardware to make it work, if I need to invest I'll preffer to go up to 5000 ft,

Regards,
EM
08-06-18, 03:55 PM
Good afternoon,

Just had a call with Raymarine support and they are saying that if I buy the new RVX1000 sonar module, I could connect my actual RV100 to the sonar and to the Axiom 9 and it will give the sonar option up to 5,000 ft, What are your thoughts about this option?

Regards,
EM
08-13-18, 02:05 PM
EM,

Adding a RVX1000 High Performance 3D CHIRP Sonar Module alone to the system will not extend depth, but may be part of a solution to sound deeper. The RVX1000 features two transducer sockets. Like the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs, one of these transducer sockets will accommodate the RealVision transducer / transducer pair and alone should provide RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, and low power high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging similar to that which is presently supported by the Axiom RV MFD and RV100 transuducer. The second transducer socket of the RVX1000 will accommodate a compatible high power (1kW/2kW) CHIRP transducer(s) to accommodate operation in very deep waters ... this would be the recommended option for fishing very deep waters. The second transducer socket may alternatively be adapted for use with compatible 1kW/2kW 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducer.