Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom, Axiom Pro Fuel Management
06-18-18, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-18 01:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom, Axiom Pro Fuel Management
I just installed the EC-100 and I can now see engine data on the MFD. However its just mirroring what the Command Link Displays on the gauges as far as MPG which is not accurate because my water speed sensor on the LU is not very accurate. I want the MFD to use the GPS speed and Engine Fuel Data to calculate MPG. Is it possible to change the speed source for the economy or do I have to wire up the NMEA 0183 from the MFD to the Command link and tell the gauges to use my GPS data for speed? I prefer not to have to do that.

THanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-18, 03:07 PM
RE: [CA11] Axiom, Axiom Pro Fuel Management
I second the request to use SOG for fuel efficiency / range calculations for 2 reasons:

1) Even if speed thru water transducers are clean and calibrated at the beginning of the season, they are rarely so at the end of the season due to fouling.

2) As an extreme example, if I am motoring up river at 5 knots (STW) against a current of 5 knots, fuel range calculation based on STW may say I have a range of 100 miles, but I really have a range of ZERO! I'm not going anywhere!
06-20-18, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-18 01:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

The LightHouse II / 3 engineering specification for the Fuel Manager feature calls for fuel economy calculation based upon GPS SOG, not speed through water. The MFD will calculate the Fuel Economy data item when the Fuel Manager has been configure to ON and the Fuel Flow Rate (PGN 127489) setting (within the Fuel Manager setup dialog) has been selected. When the Fuel Used (PGN 127497) setting has been selected, the Fuel Economy data item reported by the MFD will simply be data repeated from fuel economy data included within PGN 127497.

The LightHouse II / 3 software accordingly provides no option to use any speed source as an alternative to GPS SOG for fuel economy and estimated fuel range calculations determined by the Fuel Manager feature (i.e. PGN 127489 selected). By using SOG, the calculations for fuel efficiency and estimated fuel range take into account the effects of leeway in increasing or decreasing the reported fuel efficiency (ex. if leeway forces (wind and/or current) are in the direction opposite the vessel's motion, then fuel efficiency and estimated fuel range will be less than they would be if leeway forces are in the same direction as the vessel's motion).
06-20-18, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-18 09:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Do I have to use 0183 and tell my gauges to use the GPS?
06-21-18, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-18 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
kaptkaos,

The ECI-100 is designed to restrict the flow of data between the engine system and the NMEA 2000 backbone to one-way communications (i.e. from the engine system to the marine electronics system). No data from the marine electronics system is passed back to the engine system via the ECI-100. It is recommended that Yamaha be contacted regarding whether your engine system features a NMEA 0183 interface to support providing it with GPS data and whether any configuration settings need be made to via the Yamaha gauges menus to use GPS SOG rather than STW data for fuel efficiency calculations. If so, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 output leads may be interfaced to the corresponding NMEA 0183 input put leads / terminals to supply the Yamaha engine system with GPS data. No settings need to be made via the MFD's settings to accomplish this end.
06-21-18, 11:08 PM
Chuck called and walked me through it. Go to MYDATA then complete the Fuel Manager Setup all the way through, select Fuel Flow and you are good to go.

I will test it this weekend.

Thanks Chuck.
06-22-18, 07:56 AM
You're welcome.