Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Standard Horizon GX1600 DSC Connection
06-20-18, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-18 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Standard Horizon GX1600 DSC Connection
I want to connect my GX1600 to my Axiom 9 to enable DSC communications between the MFD and the radio. The GX1600 outputs NMEA 0183 and I have a SeaTalkng Network on my boat. (Just the Raymarine SeaTalkng Starter Kit)
I have been told several different solutions when I call the Raymarine Support line. After doing some research it appears that the Raymarine VHF 0183 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be the best option. The radio has the NMEA I/O cable ending in 4 leads which I believe would connect to the 4 lead yellow cable coming from the yellow port on the converter. Would this setup enable both the radio and the Axiom 9 to show boat positions on the chart and also show the position coordinates on the radio?

Thanks for your help.

Sal Guttilla
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-18, 03:43 PM
RE: [CA11] Standard Horizon GX1600 DSC Connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sal,

The Raymarine VHF 0183 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will not support the end which you are seeking as it only supports one-way communications. As the third party VHF radio does not feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface and the MFD does not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, it would be necessary to interface the third party VHF radio to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device which supports 4800 BAUD communications and additionally support the NMEA 0183 DSC sentence (the latter is required for the MFD to plot DSC position reports received by the VHF radio) (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.). The MFD and NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device would each be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The NMEA 0183 input / output leads of the third party VHF radio would in turn be interfaced to the corresponding NMEA 0183 input / output leads/terminals of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device.
06-22-18, 10:21 AM
RE: [CA11] Standard Horizon GX1600 DSC Connection
Sal,

You're welcome and thank you very much for the kind words.