Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] S1 computer with SeatalkNG heading/gyro input
06-25-18, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-18 09:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] S1 computer with SeatalkNG heading/gyro input
Hi,
I currently have a S1 autopilot computer connected to a C90W MFD and ST60+ instruments via Seatalk1. Heading information is provided to the system via a NMEA0183 compass wired directly to the autopilot. There is no gyro in the system currently.

I have the following questions about replacing the NMEA0183 compass with a modern SeatalkNG/NMEA2000 sensor pack (Raymarine EV-1 or equivalent):
1) If I connect the compass to the C90W via SeatalkNG, will the autopilot receive the heading information from the C90W via Seatalk1? Alternatively, could I connect the autopilot to the SeatalkNG network via a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG adapter to receive this info?
2) Is the S1 autopilot capable of receiving gyroscopic rate information via Seatalk or NMEA0183, or is the only method of enabling this functionality to use a gyroscopic sensor wired directly to the corresponding input on the computer?

Thanks,
Steve
J37 "Monomoit"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-18, 09:38 AM
RE: [CA11] S1 computer with SeatalkNG heading/gyro input
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Q1a) If I connect the compass to the C90W via SeatalkNG, will the autopilot receive the heading information from the C90W via Seatalk1?
A1a) Negative. Raymarine's S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G and X5/X10/X30 autopilot course computers were not designed to support use of heading data from a SeaTalk data source as the communications data rate is too slow (1Hz). These autopilot course computers were designed to exclusively support use of heading data determined via a compatible analog fluxgate compass or from a 10Hz NMEA 0183 source of heading data.

Q2a. Alternatively, could I connect the autopilot to the SeatalkNG network via a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG adapter to receive this info?
A2a. Negative. Please see the response to Q1.

Q2) Is the S1 autopilot capable of receiving gyroscopic rate information via Seatalk or NMEA0183, or is the only method of enabling this functionality to use a gyroscopic sensor wired directly to the corresponding input on the computer?
A2) The S1/S2/S3 autopilot course computers will only function as gyro assisted SmartPilots (S1G/S2G/S3G) by interfacing them to a Pathfinder Smart Heading System / GyroPlus (no longer available) or by having had Raymarine's Product Repair Center add a compatible rate gyro to the circuitry within the autopilot course computer (also no longer available).

If considering the addition of an EV-1 CCU, it would be recommended that the S1 and autopilot control head also be replaced with an ACU (model dependent upon the model of drive unit installed onboard) and p70S Autopilot Control Head.
07-03-18, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the response, Chuck. Sounds like I need to rethink the order in which I upgrade my network!

One follow-on question based on your response - does the below statement mean that if the system heading is provided by a fluxgate wired to the S1 computer, and the S1 is connected to the broader network via Seatalk1, that any MARPA / radar overlay performed by the MFD is done using the slower 1Hz heading information?

(06-27-18 09:38 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Raymarine's S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G and X5/X10/X30 autopilot course computers were not designed to support use of heading data from a SeaTalk data source as the communications data rate is too slow (1Hz).
07-04-18, 05:16 AM
Steve,

The quote which you have referenced does not apply as it was addressing a heading source to be used by the autopilot course computer to perform its autopilot functions. However, as you have suggested, the data rate that will be supplied to the system by your S1 autopilot course computer will be 1Hz and will not be sufficiently fast enough to properly support use of the MARPA feature. Radar overlay will be supported with 1Hz heading input to the system.