Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Questions
06-28-18, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-18 03:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Questions
Hello, I have some questions on configuration of and Axiom unit. I am looking to upgrade to this unit for a 24' I/O powered application. I fish the great lakes for salmon and walleye and my primary objectives are to mark fish and the bottom at speed while also having good definition / identification of fish at trolling speeds.

I like the idea of the 3d, side vision, and chirp for trolling, so that points me toward a RV100 transducer. Where I get concerned is that I understand this transducer isn't as powerful as your typical 50/200 Hz transducer, so I may lose bottom at speed, and I may not detect fish that I could on a 600 W 50/200 Hz transducer. Is this a legitimate concern?

I also understand I could connect a separate thru hull transducer to it with a y cable, but would lose chirp. If the thru hull transducer is chirp capable, do I still retain chirp? Also, how effective is chirp at speed for bottom and fish marking? Or said differently, is a standard transducer better for this?

I understand I could have multiple transducers on the Pro, but that is a bit more money. Could I network two Axiom's together and have both the RV with chirp and a conventional 50/200 thru hull working at the same time? Can I see images from both on the same screen at one time then?

Also, clearance to the drive is a concern on my I/O, do you know where along the length of the transducer the 3d and side looking elements are so I could assess fit to my boat?

Whew...l think that is all for now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-18, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-18 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom Questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum

Q1. Where I get concerned is that I understand this transducer isn't as powerful as your typical 50/200 Hz transducer, so I may lose bottom at speed, and I may not detect fish that I could on a 600 W 50/200 Hz transducer. Is this a legitimate concern?
A1. Depending upon the hull designed, draft, and speed when operating on plane, some may find that the high CHIRP Sonar fishfinder channel supported by the RV100 transducers may not hold bottom ... this is primarily caused by an aerated flow of water across the face of the transducer. As has been indicated within the FAQ found here, adding a compatible 600W 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducer along with the appropriate Y-Cable may be used to address this issue should it arise on one's vessel. When an Axiom RV transducers is used with a Y-Cable, the system's high CHIRP sonar feature will be replaced with 600W 50kHz/200kHz features. This is an excellent option for the fishing application which you have described.

Q2a. I also understand I could connect a separate thru hull transducer to it with a y cable, but would lose chirp.
A2a. Affirmative ... see the response to Q1.

Q2b. If the thru hull transducer is chirp capable, do I still retain chirp?
A2b. While compatible CHIRP transducers may be interfaced to the 1kW Transducer socket of an Axiom Pro MFD, they cannot be interfaced to an Axiom MFD via the MFD's Transducer socket.

Q3. Also, how effective is chirp at speed for bottom and fish marking? Or said differently, is a standard transducer better for this?
A3. At speed, I suspect that you will find 50kHz to be most effective due to power. That said, fishfinding is not typically designed to be supported at planing speeds.

Q4. I understand I could have multiple transducers on the Pro, but that is a bit more money. Could I network two Axiom's together and have both the RV with chirp and a conventional 50/200 thru hull working at the same time?
A4. Yes, if the RV transducer was interfaced to one of the Axiom RV MFDs and the 50kHz/200kHz transducer was interfaced to the other Axiom RV MFD.

Q5. Can I see images from both on the same screen at one time then?
A5. Yes.

Q6. Also, clearance to the drive is a concern on my I/O, do you know where along the length of the transducer the 3d and side looking elements are so I could assess fit to my boat?
A6. The aft 3/4 portion of the transducer houses the transducer's elements which are responsible for RealVision, SideVision, and DownVision imaging.
07-02-18, 05:01 AM
Some follow-ons,

If I network two Axioms together, can I attach a thru hull chirp to one and if so, what P/N for the transducer?

If I use a single Axiom pro, what thru-hull transducer(s) for chirp?

My application is up to 200', with most work in 70' or less of water.
07-02-18, 09:19 AM
Q1. If I network two Axioms together, can I attach a thru hull chirp to one and if so, what P/N for the transducer?
A1. If networking an Axiom MFD DV in addition to Axiom RV MFD w/RV transducer and 50kHz / 200kHz transducer, then a CPT-S CHIRP transducer would be recommended for the second Axiom MFD. Doing so would then permit each of the MFD's support RealVision 3D sonar, SideVision, DownVision, 900' high CHIRP conical sonar, and 600W 50kHz/200 kHz sonar. The CPT-S transducers are available in both low profile thru-hull (including tilted element) and transom mounted models. Unlike Axiom Pro RV MFDs, compatible CHIRP transducers cannot be directly connected to Axiom MFDs. However, should a CP470 CHIRP Sounder Module be networked (via a HS5 RayNet Network Switch) to the system of Axiom MFDs, then a 1kW CHIRP transducer may be used with the CP470.

Q2. If I use a single Axiom pro, what thru-hull transducer(s) for chirp?
A2. Axiom Pro RV MFDs as well as CP470/CP570 transducers are compatible with any of the CHIRP transducers found here.

Q3. My application is up to 200', with most work in 70' or less of water.
A3. A high wide CHIRP transducer would typically be recommended for such shallow water applications.