Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] p70s Not Reading ST50 & ST60 Instruments
06-27-18, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-18 05:23 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] p70s Not Reading ST50 & ST60 Instruments
G'day- I just installed a complete EV-1 autopilot system (wheel drive, p70s, ACU, EV-1 compass, seatalk to seatalkng converter) on a '93 Catalina 36. The autopilot calibrated properly and can follow a course. However, the display does not show the data from the wind speed, depth, etc. Know how to fix that? Included is a diagram of how I wired the system.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-18, 05:22 AM
RE: p70s Not Reading ST50 & ST60 Instruments
Hi Ramvet,

Thankyou for your enquiry,

Check the Blue terminators are correctly placed in the free blue sockets in the connectors at each end of the backbone.

check the power supply to the SEaTalk instruments is not connected tothe converter, since this will power the converter from both SeaTalk and STng and will cause a problem.

Regards
Derek
07-03-18, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-18 06:46 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG] p70s Not Reading ST50 & ST60 Instruments
Derek,
Thank you for the prompt reply and answers. Unfortunately, I am brand new to Raymarine Communications and I am not clear what you meant. Would you mind terribly looking at a photo and a different schematic of my installation to see if there are errors?
Thank you again!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-04-18, 06:55 AM
Hi Ramvet,
thanks for the details.

Looking at the diagram you sent, make sure there are terminators, (the small blue plugs) fitted at the extreme ends of the backbone, ie one blur plug in position A and the other blue plug in the empty blue socket of the T Piece that the p70s is plugged in to.

Secondly, the red 12v core of the cable connecting the ST50/ST60 displays to the SeaTalk to SeaTalk NG Converter must be cut and insulated. This prevents two 12 v power supplies to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter, the converter must only have a single power supply and this should come from the STng network.

Hope this helps?
Regards
Derek
07-05-18, 10:42 PM
Hello Derek,
I believe I already have all the suggestions from the most recent answer in place. All unused terminal positions have been capped, including the one for the p70s. There is no other power supply to the ST50/ST60 instruments other than the line coming into position H (Seatalk-ng connector).

Any other thoughts?
07-06-18, 11:35 AM
HI Ramvet,

In the Cable from the SeaTalk instruments to the Converter block, have you connected the shield/bare wire of the SeaTalk to the BLACK wire in the WHite and black Spur cable?

The connections between the cables should be as below

SeaTalk cable Spur cable to converter(Blacl/White cable)

Red cut back and isolated - not used
Yellow Yellow
Shield/bare wire Black

Other than this, you should now check the connections on the backbone cable, maybe there is a poor connection or faulty connector block in the STng network to the p70s?

thanks
Derek
07-20-18, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-18 08:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hey Derek,
I think we are getting closer. I see what you mean, not connecting the red wire in the connection from ST50 instruments to the converter. Cut that today (must be part of the problem) & lost power to the ST50 group. And yes, going from the Speed Gauge to the SeaTalk converter, I did connect yellow to yellow and bare wire to black in the Spur Cable (K location in included drawing).

So it seems to me that I should now supply power directly to the ST50 instrument cluster as shown in the included detailed drawing here. If that is correct, do I join red to red and black to bare wire at the question mark in the drawing at the Depth Gauge? Or red to red and black to yellow?

Thanks again! You have been super helpful!

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Autopilot Wiring ver 3.pdf (Size: 382.32 KB / Downloads: 332)
07-23-18, 10:22 AM
Hi Ramvet

In short, yes, power needs to be applied back to the ST50 displays, leave the red disconnected at point K.

To power the St50 displays, connect +12v Red to the Red wire and 0 volts to the Bare wire.

Thanks
Derek
07-23-18, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-18 08:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hey Derek,
Thanks so much. I get it. If you don't hear back, it all worked!
Lorin
07-24-18, 11:11 AM
HI Ramvet
You're welcome
Regards
Derek