Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS650 to C90W connection
05-07-18, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-18 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS650 to C90W connection
I have just upgraded from an AIS250 receiver to an AIS650 / AIS100 transceiver. I wish to connect to a C90W display. The AIS650 kit comes with a SeaTalkng cable and my question is if I can simply connect the AIS650 directly to the C90W using the supplied ng cable ? To be clear, I don't have a SeaTalk backbone available to use as a bridge.
Alternatively, I can go the NMEA route but I'd prefer to use the SeaTalkng system as it's neater. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-18, 11:03 AM
RE: [CA] AIS650 to C90W connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

I can simply connect the AIS650 directly to the C90W using the supplied ng cable ? To be clear, I don't have a SeaTalk backbone available to use as a bridge.
A1. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. Alternatively, I can go the NMEA route but I'd prefer to use the SeaTalkng system as it's neater.
A2. It is indeed alternately possible to interface the AIS650 to the C-Series Widescreen MFD via NMEA 0183 communications.
05-08-18, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-18 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.
Is there any additional functionality in favour of going the ng route or is it exactly the same functionality as a full NMEA connection ?
Jim
05-09-18, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-18 02:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jim,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
06-10-18, 01:28 PM
RE: AIS650 operation
Hello again Chuck,

I completed the connection of my new AIS650/AIS100 to my C90W using NMEA.

Initially, the unit operated perfectly and transmitted my position as expected. I sailed from Ireland to Spain reassured that I was visible to other shipping. Not so ! After a few VHF exchanges while crossing shipping lanes, it turns out that I am invisible.

I've now landed in Spain and have checked over the system. Both the AIS650 and AIS100 have green lights. The AIS splitter shows a blue LED every few minutes which indicates a normal operation. My normal VHF transmission and reception is functioning normally. However, I am not visible to nearby boats nor the usual websites. What else can I check ?

System is : all RAYMARINE; AIS650, AIS100, ST100instruments, 5000autopilot, 55E, C90Wx2.

Jim
06-11-18, 09:11 AM
RE: [CA11] AIS650 to C90W connection
Jim,

Should you consult the AIS650's Installation Guide, you will find that a blue Status LED indicates that the AIS650 is operating in Silent Mode (i.e. not broadcasting your vessel's AIS data to other vessels. The AIS650 features a set of Silent Mode leads to support switching the AIS650 into and out of Silent Mode when used with a third party chartplotting product or when the system features no chartplotting product at all. When used within as system such as yours, these leads will not typically be used and should be insulated to prevents shorting with one another, thereby causing the AIS650 to enter Silent Mode. Additionally, with a system such as yours, care should be taken to interface the AIS650 to the system via NMEA 0183 or via SeaTalkng, but not via both. The MFD's AIS settings include an option to configure the Silent Mode feature ON/OFF.
06-11-18, 09:29 AM
thanks for your response Chuck,

to be clear, the blue LED shows on the AIS100 splitter every few moments. The AIS 650 is continuously green...

I have confirmed that the silent leads are insulated from each other. The MFD setting is for ‘Silent Mode’ OFF.
Jim
06-11-18, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-18 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jim,

Thanks for the additional information. Should the Status LED of the AIS100 be blue, then it is indicating that the AIS transmissions are indeed being executed from your vessel. It is recommended that another vessel having an AIS receiver which is located within a couple of miles of your location be contacted to verify whether your vessel's name or the MMSI number which has been assigned to your vessel's communications equipment is found within the other vessel's AIS target list. Be aware that in locations having large numbers of AIS transceivers this radius may need to be reduced. Should the problem be verified to exist, then it would be recommended that the VSWR of the antenna be tested. A good antenna with its cable assembly will have a VSWR between 1.0:1 - 2.0:1. If found to be good, then it would be recommended that a Raymarine installer be contacted to check troubleshot the problem onboard. Alternatively, the the AIS100 and AIS650 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
07-08-18, 05:03 PM
Chuck,
I have this figured out now and would like to pass on my learnings.

The AS650/AIS100/C90W system is working well. However ; the 'non-tranmission' issue arises because every time the C90W is turned on, the default setting for the AIS is "SILENT MODE" set to ON. Therefore, I need to go into the MENU -> AIS LAYER SETUP -> SILENT MODE and set this to OFF. The default setting is ON otherwise. If I neglect to do this the AIS remains in SILENT mode throughout.

To be clear, I have not connected up a Silent Mode hardware switch.

IMHO, I think it would be better if the software was set to default SILENT MODE = OFF or even latched to the previous setting rather than as described.

Jim