Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] splicing old seatalk
10-11-18, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-18 12:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] splicing old seatalk
Hi,

I have been searching the forum and can't find the answer to this kind of old question.

I just got a new SeatalkNG pilot, and want to interface it with my old ST60 instruments. I have a Seatalk>SeatalkNG converter.

What I would like to know is if I can splice into my existing Seatalk network in order to provide data to the converter. I have three ST60 instruments at the help and an ST60 Graphic Display at the mast. The Graphic Display is the only open Seatalk port. It's quite a big deal to run a cable from that display to the rear of the boat where the EV-1 and ACU will reside.

Oh, one more thing. Back in the day of fluxgates, I believe you were to mount them on the centerline of the boat if possible. Am I okay to mount the new EV sensor toward the rear of the boat and a couple feet off center?

Thanks in advance,

RF
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-18, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-18 01:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] splicing old seatalk
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum RF,

SeaTalk devices may be installed in any order. SeaTalk cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths (D230, D284, D285, D286, and D287 respectively). In this case, you may want to consider installing a junction box or terminal strip at a convenient point of the SeaTalk bus. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk Junction Block would then be joined to the junction box or terminal strip via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable.

Best autopilot performance will be achieved with the EV-1/EV-2 CCU installed on a vertical bulkhead or mast, orientation arrow pointed forward, and away from objects producing a magnetic field. Unlike the fluxgate compass, the EV-1/EV-2 CCU is less affected by mounting off of the centerline. Hence the installation instructions do not make any such recommendations.
10-11-18, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-18 02:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi again,

At risk of being dense, what I am asking with respect to the splice is, could I splice into a seatalk cable in a "T" manner - ie., splice the seatalk to seatalk NG cable into the middle of an existing seatalk cable.

I prefer the junction box idea, but I am moving around on my boat, and ordering one is challenging.

Again, thank you.
10-11-18, 02:51 PM
RF,

Q1. what I am asking with respect to the splice is, could I splice into a seatalk cable in a "T" manner - ie., splice the seatalk to seatalk NG cable into the middle of an existing seatalk cable.
A1. It is indeed possible to do as you have suggested.
10-11-18, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-18 08:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I thank you.

RF
10-12-18, 08:02 AM
You're welcome.