Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[TG] Wind speed no longer working
08-05-18, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-18 02:46 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Wind speed no longer working
Hello-

We have a masthead vane/cups connected to a STng system via an ITC-5 transducer converter. Wind speed and direction are displayed on an i70 display. Recently the wind speed portion has died and is only showing 0.0 knots. Wind direction is still good.

I followed the troubleshooting instructions and found 3.246V between the yellow and shield wires at the connection to the iTC-5. This is within the "normal' values (0-5V for this circuit). Yet the display still shows 0.0.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this further?

Cheers- Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-18, 02:53 AM
RE: Wind speed no longer working
Hello Matt,

The masthead unit should be outputting 0 - 5V pulses, twice per rotation of the cups. A multimeter will only show the individual pulses if the wind speed is very low, but even if not, if you're seeing a completely static voltage, that's your problem. In normal operation, even a multimeter will show a fluctuating voltage as with wind speed varies.

I think it's most likely that you've got something like moisture in your masthead connector (locking ring insufficiently tight, O-ring seal not properly compressed perhaps) which is bleeding voltage across from red to yellow. It could also be a masthead unit problem. I'd send someone up the mast to have a look into the connector, or remove the masthead sensor and get it checked by a Raymarine service centre.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply