Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replace RayPilot650/CC100 with Type1 Pump
07-16-18, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 12:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replace RayPilot650/CC100 with Type1 Pump
I have a Raypilot 650, Course Computer 100 with a type 1 pump autopilot system and Fluxgate Compass. It has been acting up a bit and I have been considering upgrading it but I really don't want to get into replacing the pump and Rudder Position sensor. The System is integrated with a Raymarine RL80C that I use for Radar, backup chart plotter and that feeds NMEA 0183 to a TimeZero PC based Navigation System. I'm looking to replace the head end units and have the RL80C get seatalk data from the new Autopilot and be able to control it if needed but primarily the TimeZero will be controlling the Autopilot. So the question is what are my options?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-18, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 12:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replace RayPilot650/CC100 with Type1 Pump
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum GadgetBob42,

The currently installed drive unit and rudder referenced unit may be retained for use with an Evolution autopilot. Should the vessel feature a 12VDC power distribution system, then it would typically be recommended that a T70407 EV-150 Core Pack be purchased. Should the vessel feature a 12VDC power distribution system, then it would typically be recommended that a T70156 EV-200 Power be purchased Within a system such as you have described, it would typically be recommended that a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone be created to interface the Evolution autopilot components. The backbone should be constructed to have have at least one extra spur socket to accommodate interfacing the computer to the backbone via an NMEA 2000 to PC interface (ex. Actisense NGT-1) ... assumes that TimeZero supports NMEA 2000 communications. The backbone would additionally feature a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to accommodate interfacing the SeaTalk bus (RL80C) to the backbone. A switched NMEA 0183 interface between the PC and the RL80C may be maintained to support waypoint/ route transfer.
07-19-18, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 12:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank You Chuck, I do have a simple NMEA 2k Network already at the helm for (of all things) my Fusion Radio. I do have a Maretron nmea2k to PC adapter but have found it to be problematic on some larger scale nmea 2k networks (such as the new 72' Viking I was working on last summer). I'm hoping it will work for this case. The system is 12VDC so I'm thinking an EV-150 Core Pack is the way to go.
07-19-18, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 12:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

It sounds like you're on the right track. If you don't have much of a backbone presently, it may be worth considering to simply add additional spur sockets to the backbone which will be constructed from SeaTalkng networking components and then simply use a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter Cable to interface the Fusion, Maretron, and any other NMEA 2000 devices to the backbone which will be constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.