Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AP Pump Recommendation
07-17-18, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-18 10:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AP Pump Recommendation
Hello,

I'm going to be installing an Autopilot system on my boat and when looking up the recommended pump by the CID of the steering cylinder it gives me either a Type 1 or Type 2. My CID is 10.2. I have a 29 foot Tarheel Aluminum fishing boat. It has a Single SternPwr stern drive. Not sure if its relevant, but I troll at around 10 knots and get to bottom fishing spots doing around 18 knots. I know that getting the bigger pump would mean a quicker Hardover to hardover time. Is that the only benefit of the larger pump? Im asking because in order to use the larger pump, I have to get the ACU-400 versus the ACU-200, which is quite a lot more. Plus I have to buy the Type 2 pump separately as its not offered in a package system like the ACU-200 and a Type 1 pump are. I am in Hawaii and fish in larger swell and usually am returning home on a following sea with medium to heavy winds. What would your recommendation be for my application?

Mahalo for your time,
Cliff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-18, 10:46 AM
RE: [CA11] AP Pump Recommendation
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Cliff,

I have noted the ram capacity which you have specified. Is your vessel equipped with hydraulic steering (i.e. hydraulic helm with hydraulic ram) or with power assisted cable steering?
07-17-18, 11:11 AM
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the quick reply. My boat has a Hydraulic helm with a Hydraulic steering ram.

Cliff
07-17-18, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-18 12:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Cliff,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case, a Type 1 pump would be recommended for the application. Should the vessel feature a 12V power distribution system, then an EV-150 Hydraulic would be recommended. Should the vessel feature 24V power distribution system, then an EV-200 Hydraulic would be recommended.
07-19-18, 04:38 AM
Hi

Chuck, just a follow up question. I ordered the ACU-150 pack with the type 1 pump and a 4kw/ 24inch radome HD. To connect them to my axiom, I would just run individual power to them from a breaker and then connect them to the seatalkng backbone via a spur cable. I'm confused if I need the HS5 network switch. Also does the RMK-10 have to powered with its own power cable also and then connected also to the seatalkng backbone via a spur cable or will it get power from the spur cable. I hope i'm using the right wording. I get confused what gets power from the backbone and what doesn't.

Thanks,
Cliff
07-19-18, 09:18 AM
Cliff,

With respect to power, products which are supplied with a power cable / leads / terminals (ex. MFDs, Digital Radar Cables, Evolution Autopilot ACU's, RMK-9/10, etc.) are designed to be powered through those cables. Products lacking a power cable / leads / terminals (ex. EV-1 CCU, p70R autopilot control head, Raystar 150 GPS sensor, etc.) featuring only a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface will be powered via the SeaTalkng backbone which will be constructed onboard the vessel. The EV-150 Hydraulic is only supplied with a sufficient number of SeaTalkng spur sockets to support interfacing autopilot components to the backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional sockets may be added to the backbone.

Should a product / accessory feature an Ethernet network (RayNet / SeaTalkng) communications interface (ex. Axiom MFD, Digital Radar Cable, RMK-9/10, etc.), then it must be used to interface that device to the other compatible products / accessories within the system which also feature an Ethernet communications interface. Axiom MFDs feature a single Ethernet communications interface, permitting them to be interfaced to one additional compatible product / accessory within the system which also features an Ethernet communications interface. However, should an HS5 RayNet Network Switch(es) be installed onboard, then the MFD may be interfaced to additional compatible products / accessories within the system which also feature an Ethernet communications interface. HS5 RayNet Switches may be joined to one another via their respective gigabit/s port. Axiom Pro MFDs feature a pair of Ethernet communications interfaces.