Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG] Autohelm 5000 Pre ST drive unit
07-17-18, 11:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-18 05:12 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG] Autohelm 5000 Pre ST drive unit
I have an old Autohelm drive unit which is in almost new condition
The unit has a seven pin connector at the rear and a red/black supply at the side
Since I only require a basic autopilot and the unit is already fitted to the boat (Macwester 36) I would like to make use of it.
Unfortunately the control unit is missing and a month long search on ebay failed to find one
Is there a more modern control unit that is more freely available that I can use of or modify?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-18, 05:13 AM
RE: [DG] Autohelm 5000 Pre ST drive unit
Hi James,

I hope you have seen my other email response to this query, if not, please see below . . . ?
Regards
Derek

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Rotary drive that you have is from our Early analogue range, circa 1986/1987, these drive units contained a PCB and power electronics for the drive unit and as such are fully incompatible with current electronics used in our Autopilots.

The only possibility is to adapt the drive unit by removing the internal electronics and modifying the clutch and motor leads to extend them outside the casing of the drive unit so they can be connected to the Clutch and Motor outputs of an ACU200. The ACU200 will also require an EV1 heading controller and a p70s Control unit.

I would advise that although the drive may look new, the clutch has been dormant for so many years that it may not function, just as would happen in a car, so it would be as well to test the drive fully before deciding whether to use it or not.
Regards
Derek
07-18-18, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 08:25 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Derek received both replies together just joined so first one may have been delayed
Will check clutch but if cannot find control unit will start from scratch with new.
Ta
James
07-19-18, 08:26 AM
Hi James,

I would agree, that is a good plan,

Thanks
Derek