Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Connection I-60 to VDR/ECDIS NMEA0183
07-10-18, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 02:02 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Connection I-60 to VDR/ECDIS NMEA0183
Hello dears

I have a job to perform on a vessel which was installed a i60 Wind Instrument.
After the installation some equipments which are connected on the i60 are missing the wind sensor signal (e.g. VDR/ECDIS). These equipments receive only NMEA 0183 signals.
It was found on board also the NGW 1 Actisense adaptor to NMEA 0183 installed but the equipments still missing the signal of wind.
I put in attached the installation that i found on board.
Can you help me with that ?
It is necessary to install/configure something else to work ?

Thanks in advance,

Anderson.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-18, 02:13 AM
RE: Connection I-60 to VDR/ECDIS NMEA0183
Hello Anderson,

It sounds to me as if you really need Actisense support rather than Raymarine, but what I would be doing in your case is:
- seeing if there's another device on the NMEA2000/SeatalkNG network that can repeat Wind data, in order to make sure the wind display is successfully sending data around that network
- using a USB-serial interface and some software on my PC such as TeraTerm to check what data is coming out from the NGW-1, and whether this contains wind messages or not.
- checking that the equipment you're connecting to, and the NGW-1, both talk modern RS422-style differential NMEA0183 signalling, or old-style single-ended RS232-style signalling, not a mixture. I would think that VDR/ECDIS will require differential (probably IEC61162 rather than NMEA0183, really.) If in doubt, check with an oscilloscope.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply