Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Raymarine a125 crashes on card insertion
07-12-18, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-18 03:00 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Raymarine a125 crashes on card insertion
I have a Raymarine a125.

It has a SD card in it already, a Navionics chart card.
I want to insert another card, for routes, backup, etc. As I insert this, the screen locks up for about 20 seconds, then the whole MFD reboots and starts over.

However this time the screen is dead, and 20 seconds later will reboot again.

I can get the card to work, by removing the Navionics card, and having this card be the only one, but this defeats the purpose of why I want it.

Does not seem to make a difference if top or bottom slot.

Any ideas?

Jason
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-18, 03:04 AM
RE: Raymarine a125 crashes on card insertion
Hello jdiesel,

Sometimes failing SD cards can draw excessive current, which makes the display reboot. Perhaps one or other of your cards are borderline, and you only get the excess current condition when the load of both is applied. SD cards are made in such large volumes at such low costs that they fail frequentlty: I end up binning 1 or 2 dead SD cards every month.
Alternatively, perhaps there's a fault with your display's SD reader.

The displays are designed to be able to read two cards at once, what you're doing is perfectly normal, so I'd suggest getting your local dealer to test either both SD cards together in another test display, or checking the display itself.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
07-16-18, 10:35 PM
(07-16-18 03:04 AM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello jdiesel,

Sometimes failing SD cards can draw excessive current, which makes the display reboot. Perhaps one or other of your cards are borderline, and you only get the excess current condition when the load of both is applied. SD cards are made in such large volumes at such low costs that they fail frequentlty: I end up binning 1 or 2 dead SD cards every month.
Alternatively, perhaps there's a fault with your display's SD reader.

The displays are designed to be able to read two cards at once, what you're doing is perfectly normal, so I'd suggest getting your local dealer to test either both SD cards together in another test display, or checking the display itself.

Thanks Tom, I wish I could, I wish things were easier. We are currently on a circumnavigation, and are currently in Colombia. My own dealer is out of the question. I believe there is a Raymarine dealer here, although I am not sure.
07-17-18, 12:33 AM
I'm in Australia so don't know the dealers in the Americas at all, but our dealer locator online shows the following dealer:

TODOMAR CHIL MARINA S.A.S.
BOCAGRANDE CPA 2 #15-364
CARTAGENA
BOLIVAR, 130000
Phone:0115756654177

As an alternative check: do you have any other SD cards aboard that you could use to try to isolate whether one card or other is indeed causing the problem, and if so which?

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.