Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-150 Auto Pilot Issue
07-19-18, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-18 11:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-150 Auto Pilot Issue
My new EV-150 AP is giving me some issues. When on Auto and running towards a destination it seems to wander a lot and also if the seas are not flat it will make a large course adjustment for no apparent reason. Boat is a 24 foot center console and the AP is new and up to date on updates. THX
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-18, 11:35 AM
RE: [CA11] EV-150 Auto Pilot Issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum greenbunch,

What have you configured the Response Level setting to? Did you install the rudder reference transducer? Is the system receiving speed through water data? If so, when operating at cruising speed under slack water conditions, how close are SOG and STW values to one another?
07-20-18, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-18 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have do not have a rudder transducer installed. I will need to get back with the Response level setting that I used during the initial setup.
I have the unit networked into a Garmin GPSMAP 5212 via one of your cables. I have to get to the marina to view the Response Level so I will be back. THX
07-23-18, 09:13 AM
Noted.
07-23-18, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-18 10:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK I got a chance to check the response level on my EV150AP. It is set at Cruising. Hard over is set to 10 seconds. Also I observed that the AP has identified the Garmin GPSMAP 5212 on the network on Can Addr #2. I'm not sure how to check where the SOG is being received from, please advise.

THX !
07-23-18, 10:45 AM
greenbunch,

Installation of the rudder reference transducer can maximize performance, particularly in slower moving vessels. It is recommended that the Response Level be configured to the Performance setting. You have not answered my question regarding how close SOG and STW values to one another within your system. On may chose speed input via the command sequence: MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->VESSEL SETTINGS->SPEED INPUT.
07-30-18, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-18 03:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I had a chance to check the SPEED source, however the location was a bit different than you post. I found it under MENU->SET-UP->SYSTEMSETUP->DATA SOURCES->SPEED. The unit has a check mark next to AUTO with no listing for my Garmin GPSMAP 5212.
07-30-18, 03:55 PM
greenbunch,

The autopilot speed source (used for all autopilot handling/performance calculations) which I have referenced is different than the Data Sources which is used to select which Speed (STW - Speed Through Water) source will be used by rest of the Raymarine system to report/use STW data. The latter only applies to systems featuring more than one set of sensors featuring speed through water paddle wheels. When operating with the latest available autopilot software, the command sequence previously supplied may be used to select the autopilot's speed source (essentially choosing between GPS based speed data, Speed through water (STW) data, or a designated cruise speed. You may want to check that the Calibration Lock (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->VESSEL SETTINGS->CALIBRATION LOCK) has been configured to OFF.
07-30-18, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-18 07:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Although I have a powerboat, no rudder reference, I ran into the same problem with following seas when on plane. Had to take it out of autopilot and manual control the boat. The unit was set on cruise. Is this normal?
07-31-18, 07:32 AM
Sallysea,

As indicated above, installation of the rudder reference transducer can maximize performance, particularly in slower moving vessels. It is additionally recommended that the Response Level be configured to the Performance setting.