Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing a SeaTalk-ng MFD to an older 150/400 autopilot
04-18-16, 03:13 PM
Introducing a SeaTalk-ng MFD to an older 150/400 autopilot
2003.5 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer. Existing is a RL70C chartplotter with radar and ST7001 auto helm control along with a Raymarine Type 150/400 autopilot system. External GPS.

I am introducing a new A97 and a Quantum radar. I have a E66066 Transducer Adapter for the sonar side of the upgrade. I also have a E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to handle the SeaTalk to SeaTalk-ng.

My current setup has all the SeaTalk running through Autopilot Course Computer. The current GPS antenna is on the SeaTalk A side of the Autopilot Course Computer. The SeaTalk B side from the Autopilot Course Computer goes to the ST7001 and the current RL70C. There is also a NMEA 0183 running from the Autopilot to the RL70C.

My thought was to introduce the E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the SeaTalk connection. The SeaTalk from the Autopilot to the RL70C would connect to a D244 block. The E22158 connects theSTng to SeaTalk to the D244. The A97 would connect to the converter through STng connections. And last a 12v connection to the E22158.

My concerns:
1. Would I then disconnect the 12v red lead from the SeaTalk B side or both the A and B side of the Autopilot Course Computer?
2. GPS. Should the Autopilot Course Computer continue to be running from the original GPS or would the internal A97 GPS handle it and I can get rid of the original external GPS antenna?
3. NMEA 0183. It appears to come from the original external GPS. Because the new A97 has an internal GPS do I still need NMEA 0183 inputs? The old NMEA 0183 data appears to be coming from the Autopilot Course Computer which appears to get its data from the external GPS antenna.
4. The connection from the old RL70C that is NMEA OUT I believes connects to the Smartcraft through a bus bar. What is your best recommendation that connection?
Thank you,

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-16, 08:32 AM
RE: Introducing a SeaTalk-ng MFD to an older 150/400 autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum On The Job,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q1. Would I then disconnect the 12v red lead from the SeaTalk B side or both the A and B side of the Autopilot Course Computer?
A1. It is recommended that the SeaTalk bus be disconnected from it's present source of power ... the red terminals of the autopilot course computer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. GPS. Should the Autopilot Course Computer continue to be running from the original GPS or would the internal A97 GPS handle it and I can get rid of the original external GPS antenna?
A2. Should the a97 MFD be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would be recommended that it be used as the system's source for GPS data (due to its 5Hz updates vs 1Hz updates), necessitating that the currently installed GPS sensor be disconnected from the system. However, should the a97 MFD's installation location not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it may not receive sufficient GPS signal strength to permit it to acquire or maintain an accurate GPS position FIX. In such cases, it may be advisable to utilize the existing GPS sensor or install a GA150 GPS Antenna to permit the MFD to receive 10Hz GPS updates.

Q3. NMEA 0183. It appears to come from the original external GPS. Because the new A97 has an internal GPS do I still need NMEA 0183 inputs? The old NMEA 0183 data appears to be coming from the Autopilot Course Computer which appears to get its data from the external GPS antenna.
A3. It would have only been recommended that the NMEA 0183 output of Gyro equipped 150/400 course computers be interfaced to a display, as the associated 10Hz heading data rate may be used to support radar overlay and MARPA features. Should the autopilot couse computer actually be the 150/400G, then it would be recommended that it's NMEA 0183 port 1 be interfaced the NMEA 0183 of the new display.

Q4. The connection from the old RL70C that is NMEA OUT I believes connects to the Smartcraft through a bus bar. What is your best recommendation that connection?
A4. Should the RL70 remain within the system, then nothing need be changed. However, should the RL70 be replaced with the a97 MFD, then the the NMEA 0183 input leads of the Smart Craft system will need to be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 OUT leads to supply the SmartCraft system with GPS data.
01-05-17, 09:19 AM
Raystar 130 connection via Seatalk-seatalkng converter:
I have a pretty outdated raymarine setup: Rl70C chartplotter, St 60 instruments and ST6002 autopilot connected to a Type 150/400 course computer. The Raystar 120 GPS has now failed and I am trying to install a RS 130 GPS using the seatalk to seatalk ng converter. I am linking the new GPS to the white socket, the old seatalk signal to the yellow socket and the power cable to the other white socket. The blue sockets are stoppered with the seatalk terminators. There are two SeaTalk connections to the Course Computer. I think the one bus is for the ST60 instruments and ST6001 and the second SeaTalk is connected to the RL70C chartplotter.
My questions are:
1) Should both the red wires to the two Seatalk busses at the course computer be disconnected?
2) I have tried to remove the red wires from the plastic connection on the course computer and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to remove the wire!!?(see attached photo)

Thanks,
John.
01-05-17, 11:27 AM
John,

General comments:

Should you require the assistance of a Raymarine product installer, the locator may be accessed here.

Should a SeaTalk cable be attached to each of course computer's two SeaTalk ports, then your system features two SeaTalk busses. As the red lead of each of these SeaTalk cables within your system has been connected to the red terminal of a SeaTalk port, then it would appear that the autopilot course computer is supplying power to both SeaTalk busses. As specified within the FAQ referenced within my initial response, SeaTalk instruments, autopilot components, GPS sensors, and chartplotters featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng interface (ex. ST40/60 Instrument Displays, ST6001, S2G, Wireless AP Controller, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, etc.) should be interfaced to one another, in any order, using standard SeaTalk Cables. SeaTalk Cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk Cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths. This method of interfacing is referred to as a SeaTalk bus.

Each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will support a SeaTalk bus of up to five SeaTalk devices. Should your present system feature more than five SeaTalk devices (ex. ST60 Wind, ST60 Depth, ST60 Speed, ST6001 AP Control Head, hsb2 Pathfinder Series Display, etc.), then the system will need to be divided into smaller busses including no more than five SeaTalk devices within each bus. Each bus will in turn be connected to the yellow SeaTalk port of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters may be interfaced to one another via appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The SeaTalk bus will need to be branched or extended and connected to the yellow (SeaTalk) port of an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit which has been upgraded with v2.01 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software.

Q1) Should both the red wires to the two Seatalk busses at the course computer be disconnected?
A1) See the general comment above ... disconnecting the red leads of the SeaTalk cables from the SeaTalk red terminals will effectively disconnect the two SeaTalk busses from their source of power. In this case, only one SeaTalk cable should be connected to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port. Depending upon the number of SeaTalk devices which are presently connected to each SeaTalk bus, the other SeaTalk cable will either need to be connected to its own SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter or to the SeaTalk bus associated with the other SeaTalk Cable which is connected to the autopilot course computer. In short, your first step should be to 1) determine the total number of SeaTalk devices within your system, and then 2) determine which devices are in each bus. Regarding the latter item, for devices which are designed to be powered by a SeaTalk bus (ex. ST60 Instruments, ST6001 AP Control Head, LifeTag, etc.), should disconnecting the SeaTalk cable's red lead from course computer's SeaTalk bus cause the device to loose power, then it can be assumed that the devices which lost power have been interfaced via the same bus SeaTalk bus. For devices which are not designed to be powered by a SeaTalk bus (ex. hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays, MFD, etc.), it is recommended that these devices be configured to display the Heading (not COG) data item ... this data item is transmitted by the autopilot course computer. Should disconnecting the SeaTalk cable's yellow lead from the yellow terminal of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port cause the device to cease populating the Heading data item (this may take up to a minute), then it can be assumed that the device which had been displaying heading was connected to that SeaTalk bus.

Q2) I have tried to remove the red wires from the plastic connection on the course computer and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to remove the wire!!?(see attached photo).
A2) The communications and transducer terminals of the pictured autopilot course computer feature spring loaded jaws which may be opened by placing the blade of a small flat bladed screw drive into the recess locate at the end of the terminal's nylon lever arm. Carefully pressing downward will cause the lever arm to open the terminal's spring loaded jaws.