Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Wirless system and compass selection
07-22-18, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-19 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Wirless system and compass selection
Hi, I have Tacktick instruments and I recently added Ev100 auto helm and a Micro-Talk Gateway. I also have Tacktick Racemaster with its own compass. My issue is that I have been told that EV 100 compass is superior to the racemaster and the transducer typically used with the Tacktick system. I was also told that the Micro-Talk Gateway would allow the Tacktick system to see/use the EV100 compass. Everything is networked including the Racemaster. I disconnected the Tacktick compass transducer. It appears that the system is being informed by the Racemaster and I am trying to figure out how to get the info from the EV100 compass to display. I also have a GPS system in the network and the new auto helm isn’t seeing the data from that, which I was told the Micro-Talk would take care of. So, in summary, how do I get EV 100 compass data to display and how do I get GPS data to the EV100? BTW the EV100 and Racemaster are reading 10 degrees apart.

THE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-18, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-18-19 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Wirless system and compass selection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

This is very odd indeed. Please note that the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control heads are not designed to show the latitude and longitude. Please list all of the other marine electronics devices within your system. Regarding heading, lease be aware that unlike other currently manufactured Raymarine products, the TackTick products cannot support multiple sources of any one type of data. As such, removing the TackTick compass would have indeed been recommended within your system. I have been unable to duplicate the problem within my own system. Please use the Diagnostics feature of the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control head to determine the following:
- version of software installed within the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control head
- version of software installed within the EV-1 CCU
- version of software installed within the ACU100

Please additionally specify whether Wind data is being populated when configured to be displayed on your autopilot control head. If not, please additionally specify whether the MicroTalk's LED is illuminated and if so, what is the LED's color.

Regarding the heading difference reported, heading sensors must be calibrated and then aligned. When aligned to a known bearing (such as that which would be accomplished via range marks, etc.), then it would be expected that the heading reported by the sensors would be fairly close, when configured to the same reference (True or Magnetic). That said, the heading data performance of the EV-1/2 is vastly superior to any magnetic north seeking device which Raymarine has ever offered.
01-17-19, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-19 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, Just getting back to this! MicroTalk's LED is green. Wind data is showing on the control head. I should note here that I cannot get my GPS to interface with the autopilot through the MicroTalk, which the dealer said would work through the TackTick interface. I will get the software versions to you. The question I have has to do with the Racemaster internal compass and EV-1/2 compass. As you point out the EV-1/2 is far superior and my choice, but I believe that the Racemaster compass might be taking over. Every time I attempt to calibrate the the compass through the TackTick display it reverts back when I exit the set up mode. Is it possible to disconnect or shut off the compass in the RaceMaster? I think the system is getting data from both compasses. Is that possible? The boat is on the hard till April, so it will be hard to do much testing, but I at least want to answer some of this now if possible. Thanks! Tom

THE
01-23-19, 11:09 AM
Tom,

Please excuse this late response. We have assembled a system featuring a Racemaster and EV-1 CCU and have duplicated your findings. We have reached out to our engineering team for further comments / direction. Upon receiving their response, this post will be updated accordingly.
01-23-19, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-19 12:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
BTW, I am using the GPS heading to calibrate the compass. And the GPS is in the system through the NMEA interface providing nav data.

THE
01-23-19, 12:16 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the additional information. Please not that a GPS would not typically be used for compass alignment unless the vessel is moving, as the compass heading would be synched with GPS COG ... no movement ... no GPS COG.
01-27-19, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-19 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Yes. When moving. 58 miles straight with relatively flat seas.

THE