Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] eS or Axiom MFD + S3 course computer
07-22-18, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-18 12:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] eS or Axiom MFD + S3 course computer
Hi,

I have an older 41' trawler with a functional S3-based autopilot and two helm stations. I want to upgrade to one or more 9" Raymarine MFDs, with a view to adding SONAR, AIS and RADAR in the future.

Can the new MFDs be interfaced to the S3? Can I have one MFD on the bridge and another for the lower helm station? What's a good network design for future expansion ?

Thanks...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-18, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-18 02:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] eS or Axiom MFD + S3 course computer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum bluwing,

Please excuse the delay in this response. As the eS-Series MFDs will are nearing the end of their run, I typically direct new customers to the Axiom line of MFDs. These MFDs may be adapted for use with the S1/S2/S3/S1G/S2G/S3G line of retired autopilot course computers. The only limitation would be that the autopilot controls feature supported by LightHouse 3 software may not be exercised with the autopilot. Instead, the autopilot's control head would need to be used to control mode (Standby, Auto, Track), to dodge, and to configure the autopilot's settings. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing when a MFD having a HybridTouch interface is preferable to a MFD having only a touchscreen-only interface. The upper and lower station MFDs will be interfaced to one another via a closed Raymarine Ethernet network and will supports sharing of all system resources and data.

With respect to sonar, is the vessel engaged in fishing as a priority? What is the approximate depth of the deepest water which you intend to fish? Are you interested 3D sonar imaging, SideVision sonar imaging, or DownVision sonar imaging?
02-17-19, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi, thanks for responding!

In the intervening time, I've figured out that Axiom Pro RVX is probably the way to go. I operate in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence river areas, where depths can vary by 50' or more within a few hundred feet. My primary use for sonar is to detect shoals and submerged obstacles ahead, rather than for fishing. Is that something I could reasonably expect to do with Realvision?

Thanks...
02-19-19, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-19 11:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
bluwing,

RealVision 3D sonar is not forward looking in nature. It is designed to provide imaging of the water column and structures which are beneath and to the sides of the vessel. That said, bottom trending information would obviously be of value to those not engaged in fishing. Like traditional sonar, the low power, high frequency CHIRP sonar has a degree of forward looking capability (due to its conical beam) which diminishes as depth decreases.