Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
08-15-18, 08:52 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
Glad I asked many thanks will get the right one!
Best
Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-18, 09:11 AM
You're welcome.
08-17-18, 10:30 AM
Hi Chuck
Things going together quite well though having to do some serious rewiring and still not a clue how I am goingvto access the steering ram to bleed the steering hydraulics!!
Originally if you remember we were going to use the existing “dual”gps antenna as an external source (the boat has a substantial hardtop) and we were going to bring it in on the nmea0183 connection
That was prior to us installing the HS5 so what antenna gps do you suggest to connect to the HS5 or one of the E127’s
Many thanks
Mark
08-17-18, 11:55 AM
Mark,

The HS5 is essentially a marinized Ethernet network switch. Raymarine has only produced GPS sensors supported NMEA 0183, SeaTalk, and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol. Such GPS sensors cannot be adapted to be mated to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. For maximum system flexibility and redundancy within systems featuring a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, I generally recommend that instead of using a MFD to bridge data from NMEA 0183 devices that the NMEA 0183 devices instead be interfaced to the backbone via a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.). When so installed, other devices on the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will have access data from the NMEA 0183 device, irrespective of whether a MFD is switched ON.
08-17-18, 01:16 PM
Great info thanks Chuch so connect the existing nmea 0183 gps antenna to the backbone via the Actisence gateway and the info is available to both mfd’s.
Thanks very much Chuck maybe Raymarine may produce a HS5 connection at some point.
Back to wiring! That link you sent to me on wiring the components in was extremeley helpful thank you. Especially regarding protection for power drops attributable to starting snd thruster use.
I am going to install the Newmar NavPac but suprisingly its maximum is 20 amps . Possibly a little low to run the AP, Radar, DSM, 2 x E127’s and of course the 2000 backbone. Maybe go with multiple units?
Weekend witing onnthe pond! Airmar were here this week testing.
Best
Mark
08-17-18, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-18 01:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mark,

Indeed more than one Newmar NavPac would be advised for a system where the house batteries also supply power to the Thruster. Where I have no high current drawing devices except for the electronics on my house batteries, I have installed the Blue Sea Systems Add A Battery Kit ... works exceptionally well for my application in keeping both battery banks charged while providing the required isolation.
08-17-18, 02:04 PM
Thank you Chuck
Had convidered the Blue Seas but was under the impression that the batteries were isolated only when no charge was present. Using the bow or stern thrusters .... or in Trying to leave Merdith Dock in August...both!... would obviously drop the voltage while the engines are running and a charge ftom alternators would mean that all the batteries would be connected and not isolated. Please correct me if I have missed something on that system.
Turned into quite the project but we have not yet achieved the State of madness produced by building the hard top last year!!!
Very best
Mark
08-17-18, 02:20 PM
Mark,

"Had convidered the Blue Seas but was under the impression that the batteries were isolated only when no charge was present" ... this is an incorrect understanding of how the product is designed to work. While the system will protect the starting batteries from being drawn down below a threshold level which can start the engine(s), the system automatically isolates the starting batteries from the house batteries when the high load of the starter is sensed. This prevents browning outs during starting on the circuits supplied by the house batteries. It may not be the solution for all applications, but is absolutely what was needed within my system as it permits both batteries banks to be charged when underway, while providing the isolation recommended for the electronics.
08-17-18, 07:52 PM
Many Thanks Chuck
Went back and re read the literature, I had of course misunderstood the working of the system.
Have a great weekend
Mark
08-19-18, 09:32 AM
Hi Chick
Have gone with the Newmar Navpacs splitting power components between 2 they give a toal of 40 amps I would hope that would be enough! The only point I cant figure is whether the power from each navpac is “ suplemental” power ie the pac adds power to bring up the voltage or is it total supplied power ie the pac shuts off the source on voltage drop detection then provides the total power to the devices protected..... apologies maybe I should be asking Newmar about this one?
Just to go back to the external GPs I understand not available for connection to the HS5 but what about one connecting to the STng backbone? Probably a little more expensive than the actisense but one less component to go wrong. If so what would you recomend for this set up?
Best Regards
Mark