Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
08-20-18, 08:31 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading from SL70 to ev200 and E127’s
Mark,

Q1. Have gone with the Newmar Navpacs splitting power components between 2 they give a toal of 40 amps I would hope that would be enough! The only point I cant figure is whether the power from each navpac is “ suplemental” power ie the pac adds power to bring up the voltage or is it total supplied power ie the pac shuts off the source on voltage drop detection then provides the total power to the devices protected..... apologies maybe I should be asking Newmar about this one?
A1. Indeed, I would recommend that Newmar be contacted for specifics on the NavPacs.

Q2. Just to go back to the external GPs I understand not available for connection to the HS5 but what about one connecting to the STng backbone? Probably a little more expensive than the actisense but one less component to go wrong. If so what would you recomend for this set up?
A2. Which make/model of GPS Sensor is installed onboard? If the GPS sensor is a Raystar 125 GPS Sensor or is the SeaTalk version of the Raystar 120 GPS Sensor, then it would be possible to install an E22158 SeaTalk1 & SeaTalkng Converter Kit within the backbone to permit bridging GPS data from these GPS Sensor's to the SeaTalkng backbone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-18, 11:55 AM
Hi Chuck
1) The GPS antenna is a Dugital Yachts Dual so has access to both gos and glonass and its hard wired into the existing Sl 70 via the nmea 0183 wire on the power supply cable. So I could either connect this via an actisense module or hardwire into the power supply cable of the E127
However it would be good to have a Raymarine gps Dual if poss) that plugs straight into the backbone.
2) Apologies for diversifying but it does have to do with the same network! ...... so this morning I find my ST60 depth indicator to be faulty( I connected up to a borrowed P79 to test it wasnt the transducer/cable)
So this raises several questions.... we were of course planning to connect the existing Seatalk network to the new STng back bone via the converter setup so presumably the St60 would have sent depth data to the displays. However now we have the Airmar through hull sounder connected to the DSM 300 that is in turn connected to the STng back bone ( while still not fully connected and working as I have had to virtually rewire the helm to install all the components properly!!!)So...... is it actually worth replacing/ repairing the ST60 and ignoring its old in Hull p79 as I am sure the DSM would take preference on the new network? I could then add an updated depth display because as of you know its essential to monitor depth here on the lake.
That means no depth reading for a while untill I get the mfds up and running but at the same time I could send the ST60 to Nasua for repair if they still do this??? Could be a stand aline back up ?

I just want to take a moment to thank you guys for all the back up we recieve because us waterborn warriors would be struggling to keep up with this stuff without guidance!!! Doing this project I have read extensively on the Raymarine forum and it has to be one of the greatest assets to the company. Great job guys!
Best
Mark
08-20-18, 12:50 PM
Mark,

Q1) The GPS antenna is a Dugital Yachts Dual so has access to both gos and glonass and its hard wired into the existing Sl 70 via the nmea 0183 wire on the power supply cable. So I could either connect this via an actisense module or hardwire into the power supply cable of the E127
However it would be good to have a Raymarine gps Dual if poss) that plugs straight into the backbone.
A1. The Raystar 150 GPS Sensor is designed to do just that.

Q2a) We were of course planning to connect the existing Seatalk network to the new STng back bone via the converter setup so presumably the St60 would have sent depth data to the displays. However now we have the Airmar through hull sounder connected to the DSM 300 that is in turn connected to the STng back bone ( while still not fully connected and working as I have had to virtually rewire the helm to install all the components properly!!!)So...... is it actually worth replacing/ repairing the ST60 and ignoring its old in Hull p79 as I am sure the DSM would take preference on the new network?
A2a. Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer service ST60/ST60+ Instruments. Additionally, P79 transducers which had been designed to be interfaced to ST40/ST60/ST60+ instruments which determine depth operate at 200kHz. When a DSM is in the system and operating in Auto frequency mode, it would typically ping at 200kHz as well when operating in most of the lake. This may cause the depth seeking instruments using a 200kHz transducer to be unable to determine depth because of interference from the fishfinder transducer. Accordingly, instead of replacing the ST60 Depth with an i60 Depth, it would be recommended that an i70S MFID and an T70278 P79 Smart In-Hull Depth Transducer (should fit within the existing in-hull reservoir) would be recommended for a second depth source to replace the ST60 Depth and analog P79 instrument transducer. As the T70278 P79 Smart In-Hull Depth Transducer operates at a different frequency (235 kHz), it would not be interfered with by a DSM which was pinging a fishfinder transducer at 200kHz or 50kHz. The T70278 P79 Smart In-Hull Depth Transducer and i70S each support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications and as such each would be interfaced as a spur to the system's backbone rather than connecting the transducer to the instrument as had been the case for the ST60 Depth instrument.

Q2b. I could then add an updated depth display because as of you know its essential to monitor depth here on the lake.
A2b. See the response to Q1.

Q2C. That means no depth reading for a while untill I get the mfds up and running but at the same time I could send the ST60 to Nasua for repair if they still do this??? Could be a stand aline back up ?
A2C. See the response to Q1. Be careful out there with a working depth instrument or fishfinder.
08-20-18, 01:01 PM
Thats exactly what I need to know Chuck thank you.
If we are going to build this system lets git er dun properly!
Ok well looks like there will be nothing left of the st60 network after all though I may put the Digital yachts Dual gps on an actisence as I have found it to be incredibly accurate and trustworthy.
Back to the Raymarine store. Better send the missus back to work!
Very best
Mark
08-20-18, 01:23 PM
You're welcome.
08-22-18, 04:09 AM
Hi Chuck
I looked at the cost of the i79s and the P79s and for very little extra there is a package that consists of i70s, wind transducer, itc-5 converter and the DST 800 transducer ( plus various backbone bits). Looks like the transducer works on similar frequency to P79s so would not interfere with the DSM 300. It also gives speed and temperature however would need to be installed when the boat gets lifted out.
The wind instrument would be handy but my thinking is that our existing P79 which we proved functional, could be connected to the new i70s via the itc-5 and be used until end of season when the DST transducer could be installed once the boat is out.
The i70s would be fed depth, speed and temp from this but would this be conflicting data once the DSM 300 is switched on plus speed display generated by the e127s and the gps ( I took your advice and ordered the R150 gps thank you).
Would the above setup be feasable or would it be preferable just to go with the i70s and the P79s as you initially suggested.
Many thanks
Mark
08-22-18, 08:26 AM
Mark,

Raymarine offers two versions of the DST800, analog and Smart. The analog version of the DST800 is designed to be interfaced to the depth transducer terminals of iTC-5, i50 Tridata, or i40 Bidata Instrument and operates a 200kHz. The Smart version of the DST800 (A22111 + T942 for Bronze and A2211 for plastic) operates at 235kH and plugs directly into a spur socket within the backbone.
08-29-18, 07:09 AM
Good morning from the lake Chuck
Best place ti be today supposed to get upto 92 degrees!
I installed the new RS150 on the radar arch but the polemount lifts it quite high compated to the radar dome. It looks to be below the emitter path and its about 18” away. Just thought Id get your expert opinion if possible.
Many thanks
Mark
08-29-18, 09:42 AM
Mark,

The beam angle of the radome is +/- 12 degrees from horizontal and would appear to place the GPS sensor within the beam. Due to space limitations, the GPS sensor onboard my own boat is similarly located to the radome. While I don't expect that you will experience issues with GPS performance when installed in the current location, no guarantees can be provided. If going by the book, I would recommended that the GPS sensor's mount be extended to raise it above the height of the radome.
08-29-18, 10:02 AM
Ok thank you Chuck
I have the existing sensor on the oppsite side so pribably good idea to lift both of them I think.
Thanks again
Mark