Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Bridging two networks with SeaTalk1
07-26-18, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-18 03:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Bridging two networks with SeaTalk1
I have both Seatalk ng and also SeaTalk1 devices on our sailboat. We currently use the SeaTalk ng to SeaTalk1 converter to allow the devices to communicate.

We have a cluster of ST60+ instruments in a location that we cannot feasibly run wires to, the wires were run at the factory and it would require an enormous effort and some damage to run a new backbone wire to this cluster, so we have just left the ST60's there. The wind, depth and speed transducer wires also go to this location.

Our wind ST60 has just given up the ghost so I have bought a new i70s to replace it, and will be installing the itc-5 in that location so that I don't have to go up the mast and replace the wind sensors.

My question is this: Can I use another Seatalk ng to SeaTalk1 converter in that location and have everything communicate between the two locations that are bridged by a length of old SeaTalk1 wiring that cannot be replaced?

I've created and attached a schematic, showing the new addition to my network in the gray box.

In this configuration, will wind data make it to my chart plotter, and will other data make it up to the new i70s?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-18, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-18 10:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Bridging two networks with SeaTalk1
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Planetdaz,

Unfortunately, the system which you have diagrammed is not representative of the intended use of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters. This interface as designed and tested for use with all of the system's SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter being installed as backbone components within the same backbone. Additionally, your system shows two power insertions, which may result in a ground loop. I would recommend that you consider replacing the failed ST60 Wind with an i60 Wind as and alternative to installing an i70S, iTC-5, and second ST-STng Converter. A cable is available (part# A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m)) to permit the i60 Wind to be daisy chained to your operational ST60 instruments.
07-28-18, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-18 08:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck!

Is that because I'd be supplying the Seatalk1 bus with power from 2 different locations? If so, could I solve that problem by cutting the power and ground from one of the cables joining the adapter to the ST1 network? I could do that by going through another ST1 junction box and using a modified ST1 cable. I've attached a modified drawing of my idea.

The reason I'm keen to try and make this particular configuration work is that I already have all the gear for it and don't really want to buy another instrument (i60). While I was waiting for your reply I went ahead and tried it and it did work with data going both ways. What would the symptoms of a ground loop look like?

I did notice that AIS data doesn't traverse the ST1 bridge, which I expected due to the protocol not supporting AIS sentences. Are there any other data components I should not expect to see coming across this bridge?

Thanks again!
07-30-18, 10:26 AM
Planetdaz,

Ground loops can manifest themselves in symptoms ranging from intermittent, to partial, to no communications. As per my initial response, the configuration which you have described is not one which the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter was designed and tested to support. While it is unlikely that any harm would result to the equipment from continued use, should any problems result in the future, then it could only be advised that the equipment be installed within the manner which it had been designed and tested to perform.