Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] another question about fish finders, transducers
07-30-18, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-18 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] another question about fish finders, transducers
I have been reading the discussions here in hope of finding the answers but since I have no clue what I am dealing with I have given up and am asking directly.
my wife decided we needed a sail boat and bought a 32 foot Bavaria (hence the "cheesecake" user name" ). it is kitted out with raymarine goodies, many of them up graded 12 months ago. I am not big on sailing but I do enjoy feeding fish and would like to be able to see if the is anything under the boat worth feeding. I have snooped around a bit and as far as I can tell it has a
-p319 transducer and a ST800-P120 both through hull.
-C80 multi display unit
but there is no DSM connected to the display.
is it possible to set up a fish finder with the equipment I have by adding a DSM (250 or 300)

I have attached pictures of the tags.
thanks in advance for any help.
kind regards, cheesecake.

ok, so I got to "insert into post" with the attachments and it wouldn't go any further so here is the info as it stands on the tags
AIRMAR. 11/08
P319
50/200kHz-A
PN:31-641-1-01
customer part #
RUL -31-641-1-01

AIRMAR. 12/08
PN:31-487-1-02
customer part #:
RUL-31-250-4-42
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-18, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-18 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] another question about fish finders, transducers
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cheesecake,

Unfortunately the currently installed transducers are designed for use with depth and speed/temp instruments rather than fishfinding products. Raymarine offers a version of the P319 (part# E66013) which is designed for use with the DSM250, DSM30, and DSM300 fishfindinder sounder modules which the C-Series Classic MFDs had been designed to support.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how fishfinder features may be added to a C-Series Classic MFD. Unfortunately, as many of the required components (excluding compatible transducers) have been retired for some time now and should the second hand market not yield results, then it may be necessary to consider replacement of the C-Series Classic MFD with a currently offered Raymarine MFD to add fishfinder features to this system.
07-31-18, 11:13 AM
thanks Chuck. I thought that up grading the MFD might be something to consider. a good portion of upgrades were done last year by the previous owner. P70s auto pilot and ST60+ (wind instrument ?) and new displays for the tri data, wind instruments and auto pilot. if I were to upgrade the MFD and change the transducer and install a DSM, what would you recommend?
kind regards, cheesecake
07-31-18, 11:25 AM
Chuck, do I need to look for anything specific with the DSM300 or is going to be compatible with both the P319 (66013) and the c80 MFD?
I have found a p319 from 2011 still in the plastic.
08-01-18, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-18 10:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Cheesecake,

Rather than seeking a second hand compatible operational DSM and new P319 fishfinder transducer, I believe that the money would be better spent in purchasing current technology. The examples which follow would be a good fit for sailing vessels seeking a level of fishfinding or bottom imaging capability:
- an Axiom 9 MFD w/CP100 DownVision Sounder Module and a E70339 CPT-S thru-hull to replace the currently installed P319 instrument transducer (will fit within the same transducer [censored]))
- an eS98 MFD with E70339 CPT-S thru-hull.

With the exception of radomes which may be been interfaced to a C-Series Classic MFD, most device which were compatible with a C-Series Classic MFD may be adapted to be mated currently offered Raymarine MFDs.
08-02-18, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-18 08:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thanks Chuck. I will have a look around.
08-02-18, 08:04 AM
You're welcome.