Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E120 Seatalk1 to NMEA 2000 conversion requirements
08-03-18, 02:00 PM
RE: [CA11] E120 Seatalk1 to NMEA 2000 conversion requirements
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bruce,

General comment. Equipment of this vintage must not be interfaced to more than one source of any type of data (GPS, wind, depth, speed through water, heading, etc.) and these products do not support data source selections Accordingly, should the AIS transceiver produce output GPS data via its NMEA 0183 interface with the MFD, then its GPS output must either be switched OFF or the RS125 must be removed from the system.

Q1. I want to upgrade to the latest software vor the E120 (V 5.69 as far as I know). It is my understanding that the RS125 will not function under V5.69.
A1. Your belief that their may be a compatibility issue between a RS125 and E-Series Classic MFD v5.69 software is incorrect. These item are compatible.

Q2) Could I simply remove the RS125 and use serial GPS data for location (V5.69 software)?
A2) See the General comment above.

Q3) Or must I convert the existing Seatlak1 network to Seatalking network using E22158 SeaTalkng Converter Kit ?
A3) No

Q4) If I need to use E22158 SeaTalkng Converter Kit, can I use GPS data from the AIS tranceiver over its NMEA 2000 interface?
A4) Not applicable. E-Series Classic MFD software is not designed to process NMEA 2000 AIS data PGNs.

Q5) If I want to connect other NMEA 2000 devices can I attach the E22158 SeaTalkng Converter directly to a NMEA 2000 backbone? If so, what cable is neded?
A5) Should a NMEA 2000 backbone be installed and should the MFD be interfaced to it, then:
- the MFD should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and should instead be interfaced as spur to the SeaTalkng backbone
- the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Conveter will need to be installed as a backbone component through which the currently installed ST40/ST60 instruments and RS125 will communicate with the system.

Q6) When using the E22158 SeaTalkng Converter connected to a NMEA 2000 backbone, how is the Seatalking backbone powered and how is the NMEA 2000 backbone powered?
A6. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will essentially be part of the backbone which will be powered via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been conneceted to switched 12VDC circuit and will be connected to a spur socket within the backbone which is positioned at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] E120 Seatalk1 to NMEA 2000 conversion requirements - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 08-03-18 02:00 PM