Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Sounder for catamaran
08-01-18, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-18 04:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Sounder for catamaran
I want to update my E90w with a new mfd , the question is what unit would be best? We are cruisers and do coastal and offshore sailing often anchoring in remote locations that are not well charted, our boat is a Robertson & Caine leopard 39 and it would be nice to incorporate a good sounder as well as depth. What would be the recommendation for a transducer and installation to suit the cat, she has sail drives so am I correct in thinking the transducer can not be stern mounted ? Is there an option to toggle transducers in both hulls? The st60 depth/speed unit we have has airmar senders mounted in the port hull. It would be nice to have a display that middles the boat, Is that possible?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-18, 12:26 AM
RE: [TG11] Sounder for catamaran
Hello Guy,

The current equivalent of an E90W is a display called an Axiom Pro 9 http://www.raymarine.com.au/multifunctio...axiom-pro/. There are two versions, the Pro-S and Pro-RVX. The Pro-S is aimed at cruising, the RVX at fishing, so I'd go the Pro-S with a CPT-S depth transducer connected. We offer the CPT-S transducers in transom-mount or tilted-element low-profile through-hull variants: you should use through-hull rather than transom-mount. Exactly which through-hull you get depends on the dead-rise of the hull area where you need to mount the transducer - the tilt helps to get the transducer beam pointing vertically at the bottom.

You can connect ST60 instruments to new displays via a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor, but I think I would leave the ST60 Depth at least disconnected from the new display, mount the new depth transducer in the starboard hull, and use the new depth transducer as the primary depth reference but have the ST60 Depth as a standalone backup/port-hull reading. You cannot have two different depth readings in a single system which is the reason for leaving the ST60 Depth isolated from the new Axiom Pro. You should connect the ST60 Speed to the new display via one of the convertors if possible.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply