Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG11) Rudder Pump Oscillations
08-13-18, 12:32 PM
RE: (DG11) Rudder Pump Oscillations
Hi PetrelMarine

What software versions do you have in the ACU, EV1 and the p70, are they all latest version?

What is the mode set to, Cruising or Performance? If set to performance and you are not using latest software then the approach to TRACK will be sharp, update software and select Cruising or Leisure
Thanks
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-18, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-18 11:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek

Thanks for the prompt reply.
The software is up to date and the mode was set to cruising, not performance. The fact the system works well in "Auto" with 90 degrees changes but not 20-30 degrees in Track is really strange.

The only other observation I had was that I was controlling the autopilot from the master eS and noticed some behavior there that I had not seen before on these units.

It seemed like I had to acknowledge changing the autopilot mode "Standby/Auto/Track" multiple times with the on screen prompts. Sometimes the Non Master eS would hang up with this pop up screen, like somehow the two units had come out of synchronization with each other or the autopilot, if thats the right word to use.
08-17-18, 09:54 AM
Hi PetrelMarine

For the sake of accuracy, could you check the pilot software is as follows . . .

p70 3.07
EV1 3.02
ACU 2.23

The angle adopted by the vessel when you engage track mode is determined by the boat speed and the distance off the track line when track mode is initiated, for example if you are a long way off the track line, then the vessel will turn correspondingly more, then when the vessel is close to the track line. By track line I refer to the virtual line that is created between the start waypoint and the target waypoint, this line is created the moment you initiate TRACK - a virtual start (of track) waypoint is dropped at that point and a track line drawn to the target waypoint, the cross track error is then calculated between the vessel's current position and this virtual track and the vessel then turned by the autopilot towards this virtual track, since the immediate aim of the autopilot is to minimise this cross track error as quickly as possible.

The second point you raise about the difficulty in engaging TRACK is more concerning, it suggests the communications between the pilot and the MFD is not reliable and there is possibly some data corruption on the STng network which is inhibiting correct operation. I suggest that it would be a good idea to get a local dealer onboard to check through the system to see if there are any data issues in the network.
Regards
Derek