Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] daisy chaining with spur cables
08-10-18, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] daisy chaining with spur cables
I just bought a wind, depth, speed package and close hauled display. Some of the diagrams show 2 displays connected with a spur cable. Each display has 2 Seatalkng connectors. So the obvious way to connect all my instruments would be with 3 spur cables (0.6, 3, and 5 meters) and a power cable. But nowhere in the instructions can I find anything like this. Everything is backbone cables. I called support and was told I was correct, but that I need 2 power cables. The instruction diagrams show lots of parts connected with never more than 1 power source.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-18, 09:16 AM
RE: [CA11] daisy chaining with spur cables
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Larry,

Will the instruments be interfaced to any other marine electronics onboard, or only to each other?
08-19-18, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-18 08:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
No, just those 4
08-20-18, 08:14 AM
Larry,

When installed to support SeaTalk communications instead of SeaTalkng communications, it would indeed be permissible to daisy chain the three instruments together via appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. SeaTalkng Backbone Cable would not be used in such an installation. Please note that the longest length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable available is 6m. A single SeaTalkng Power Cable may be used to power the daisy chain and my be connected to the unused SeaTalkng socket of an instrument located at either end of the daisy chain. In systems where the cable routing lengths would require a cable length greater than 6m, then the instruments would need to be installed in a manner which supported SeaTalkng communications via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.