Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Lighthouse and Navionics on same SD card
08-12-18, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-18 02:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Lighthouse and Navionics on same SD card
I'm using the Axiom 9 for both sea , local lakes as well as navigation off-road on land for professional purpose.
What I wonder is following:

I bought a Navionics map that was shipped on a 8GB SD-card.
I also downloaded a Solteknik terrain chart to actually see where I am when navigating on local lakes or land (strange that none other provides such maps given the fact that every child's mobile phone got it).

The problem is that Navionics got only 8 GB SD cards while the Solteknik chart is already more than 7 GB. There is no place for both on one SD card!
The answer from the Navionics support was that they ship only 8GB SD cards and I need to swap SD cards everytime I want to change the chart! This answer was surprising knowing that technically this works since at least 15 years.
I would like to use 1 32 GB SD card for all maps and not having to swap SD cards back and forth all the time just to see where I am. Especially the Navionics Sonar Live feature is adding value for us. Will Raymarine get their own mapping app for the MFDs ? It is strange to me that 2018 we need to swap SD cards in order to handle simple situations.

It would be great if somebody could enlighten me on this issue.

Kind regards,
Robert
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-18, 07:58 AM
RE: [DG11] Lighthouse and Navionics on same SD card
Hi IBV

Thankyou for your enquiry.

Due to the restrictions on the cartography and filing system used on the Navionics charts cards, it is not possible to copy the charts to an alternative chart card, I have checked with Navionics who advise that ... "Each Navionics chart area has to be loaded on to a separate MSD card so it will not be possible to have both Navionics and Lighthouse charts on one card."

The best option is to fit an RCR2 external card reader, A80218, this has 2 chart card slots and so both cards can be inserted at the same time.

Regards
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply