Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting from .usr to .gpx
04-20-16, 09:49 PM
Converting from .usr to .gpx
I used GPS Babel to convert my lowrance USR files to GPX but when I import them only some of the waypoints transfer and I get a import failed messaged.

- Is there a way to edit the file to make sure it converts properly?
- Is there a way to break up the GPX file by lake or year or something so I could import one batch at a time to isolate where the problem may lie?
- I don't get any kind of specific failure report that helps me to isolate what is not importing correctly.

Thanks in advance for the response and help!

- Greg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-16, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-16 07:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Converting from .usr to .gpx
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Greg,

Unfortunately, Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs do not provide any supporting data when a failure occurs while importing a GPX file. It is not recommended GPSBabel be used for this purpose. There are a number of other possible reasons for the reported issue, most notably violation of one or more of the MFD's waypoint constraints. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing transferring data from third party chartplotters to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or Dragonfly display.
04-21-16, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-16 07:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Any recommendations on the process for editing down the waypoints etc to conform to the standards below. I tried to do this with excel by converting into and out of a .csv file but that did not load. Is there a way to edit using another third party product or voyage planner?
04-22-16, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-16 09:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Greg,

As indicated within the FAQ referenced within my initial response, it is recommended that GPS Utility be used to import the data from your .usr file. GPS Utility is the most commonly recommended and most successful program which we have identified for producing GPX files from the data within third party proprietary waypoint/route/track files. Any editing of the waypoint data to satisfy the constraints of the MFD may then be performed within GPS Utility. After making any necessary changes to the waypoint and route data, GPS Utility may then be commanded to save the waypoint and route data to a GPX file.
05-03-16, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-16 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you very much. I was able to successfully use GPS utility to group my waypoints by year and assign different icons by year and by structure and lake. Imported 5 different GPX files with new shortened waypoint names and differently assigned icons and everything worked perfectly! Really appreciate the help.
05-03-16, 02:33 PM
You're welcome.