Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum Radar Cable Length Issue
08-18-18, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-18 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Quantum Radar Cable Length Issue
I am about to replace my E80 classic based system with an Axiom Pro with Quantum II radar. So, I plan to put the new radar unit where the old radome was which is about 13m up the mast and an additional 5M routed internally to the ethernet switch. There is not a 15m extension combining power and data so that means using a 15m Quantum II cable which is really two cables. Previously, the moderator recommended not running two cables and against having connections inside the mast e.g. a 10m and 5m extension cable. What do you suggest?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-18, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-18 08:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Quantum Radar Cable Length Issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum eljacksjr,

As a sufficiently long Digital Radar Extension Cable is not available to suit your, needs, it would be recommended that an A80229 15m Digital Radar Cable be installed in the mast and that the excess cable be loosely coiled and kept near the base of the mast to permit the mast to be removed. Power and Ethernet connections to the Digital Radar Cable may then be accommodated at the base of the mast. The Digital Radar Cable's Ethernet network plug (RayNet (F)) may in turn be interfaced to the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an assembly which has been constructed from an A80162 RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
08-26-18, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-18 08:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
How would I make the power connection at the radome? The raynet connection is there but not the power plug.
08-27-18, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-18 08:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
eljacksjr,

The end of the Digital Radar Cable farthest from the radar transducer is terminated with an Ethernet network plug (RayNet (F)) and power / drain leads. The cable's power leads will need to be connected to a switched 12 or 24VDC power circuit and the cable's drain lead will need to be addressed in the manner specified within the FAQ found here. Per my initial response, the Digital Radar Cable's Ethernet network plug (RayNet (F)) may in turn be interfaced to the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an assembly which has been constructed from an A80162 RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.